Classic Mexican Albondigas Soup made with low fat beef meatballs. A Mexican comfort dish that is flavorful and healthy at the same time. Enjoy!
I pride myself on how good I make Mexican Albondigas soup. After all, it tastes just like how my mom used to make it. When you learn from the best there’s a good chance you’ll do alright as well! When I get asked what my family’s one traditional dish is, I always have to say Albondigas. And this soup (Mexican Sopa) is very close but since it’s not a complete meal I have to put it in second place.
Growing up these two were my favorite and now they’re my sons’ favorites too.
When I began to cook consistently in my early twenties, I used to call my mom all the time asking her how to cook my favorite dishes she made. Her isntructions always were: Add about 1 pound of meat, a dash of this, a pinch of that, a bunch of this, blah blah blah! Ugh! When you’re learning a new recipe, my “dash of this” can be very different than your “dash of this”! But I always took notes like I was going to be tested on it later….keeping up with good cooks is serious business you know?
How did you learn to cook? Was it from a cookbook, on your own or a family member?
When made with low fat ground beef, this dish automatically becomes a super healthy meal. It’s high in protein, has good carbs and all the veggies will ensure that you get all of the vitamins and nutrients that you need. There is nothing better than when a comfort meal is also healthy. I hope you get to make this!
For the Albondigas
- 2 pounds 96% ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons uncooked white rice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/3 cup white rice
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 large carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 12 cups hot water
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 beef bullion cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 cups fresh green beans cut in halves
- 2 small white potatoes peeled and sliced
- 2 medium zucchinis sliced
- To make the albondigas: Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your hands. Form into 1-inch meatballs and roll between your palms. Set aside.
- The soup: In a large stock pot add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and sauté until light brown, making sure to keep stirring so that it doesn't burn. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the other 1 tablespoon olive oil, celery, onion, carrots & garlic. Sauté until the onions become soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water, beef bullion, tomato sauce, albondigas, salt, pepper, oregano & cilantro. Stir & cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook for 1 hour over medium heat. Add the rice after 50 minutes of cooking.
- Add the potatoes and green beans. At this point taste the broth and add more salt & pepper if needed. Cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot.