These irresistible Argentinian Alfajores are soft, sweet and crumbly shortbread sandwich cookies filled with dulce de leche. They just melt in your mouth!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, divided. I use Darling Lemons.
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk. Store bought or homemade
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add yolks and beat to combine.
- Add the vanilla extract, water and lemon zest beat until just combined.
- Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from plastic wrap and place on a lightly floured surface, flour a rolling pin and roll out to about ¼ inch thick. Cut the dough with a 2 inch cookie cutter.
- Place on prepared sheet pans, then bake until firm and edges are pale golden and the middle of the cookie is firm, about 9 minutes. Transfer baking pan to a rack and allow to cool completely before removing from baking sheet.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of dulce de leche onto the back of half the cookies. Place a second cookie on top and gently press to create a sandwich and repeat. Dust generously with powdered sugar before serving.
- Roll sides in coconut and dust generously with powdered sugar before serving.
- Make cookie dough, wrap very tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freeze cookie dough for up to 3 months. Wrap in plastic wrap and and place inside a freezer plastic bag. Label the bag with the month and the baking temperature and place the bag in the freezer.
Keywords: maicena, alfajores recipe, easy, cookies, argentina