Remove the guilt while satisfying your cravings with these baked doughnuts! Baking them is the way to go to cut the fat and calories. So good!
I wouldn’t say I have an obsessive personality per se (although my husband would disagree 😉 ), but I do get carried away easily when something enters my mind. Lately I’ve been so
obsessed inspired to make my own surfaces to photograph the food for my blog that I even enrolled in an online painting class. Watching YouTube videos on painting furniture wasn’t enough for me so I decided to learn from the experts. The class from Farragoz is teaching me to make my own paints and different distressing techniques. It’s so much fun! Their work is exactly the look I’ve been searching for and can’t wait to be half as good as they are.
My first project (self assigned) was to make the surface for this post and while I didn’t achieve the look I was going for, its look is growing on me (I can’t stop thinking it looks like a map LOL!). Nobody does a perfect job on the first try right?…. just say “no” for me please ;).
I really really can’t wait to start my next project!! Not that I’m obsessing about it or anything 😀
Since I’m not into fried foods, even though I do make an exception for a donut here and there, baked donuts are the next best choice. While they lack the crispiness from the original version, the taste will make you forget you’re eating a healthy (ier) version of them. Enjoy!
Baked Strawberry Doughnuts with Chocolate Sauce
This recipe makes 24 doughnuts but it can easily be halved for 12 doughnuts.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 24 1x
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 strawberries, chopped in small pieces
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 4 oz. semisweet bar chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 2 doughnut pans well with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each addition (do not over mix).
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pans, until a little more than three-quarters full.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for about 7 to 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter until all the doughnuts are baked.
- Chocolate Sauce
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the 1/3 cup heavy cream and corn syrup. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat and add the chocolate. Let it stand for about 5 minutes or until melted. Whisk until mixed well and smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and drizzle over the doughnuts.