These big, thick & fluffy Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes with Lemon Crema, restaurant style, are easier than you think to make at home!
This is an amazingly versatile recipe! They are loaded with delicious blueberries and topped with a little tangy Mexican crema. A generous drizzle of maple syrup is just the perfect balance and if you prefer to use strawberries or cherries instead of blueberries, go for it! You could also use whole wheat flour instead of white flour to add a little more fiber to your diet. The pancakes will still come out great! Again, this is a very versatile pancake recipe.
One of the things you will taste is that earthy-crunchy vibe from the quinoa. What I like the most is the health benefits of adding quinoa to your diet; it’s loaded with vitamins, high in protein & fiber plus it contains a healthy dose of fatty acids.
Cooking pancakes in a cast-iron skillet
These are not your ordinary stack of pancakes. First, you cook the Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes in a cast-iron skillet to give them a nice crispy layer. Then you transferr the skillet into the oven to finish cooking and to give the last touch of fluffiness. They come out amazing every time!
These Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes have definitely become one of our favorite breakfasts and I guarantee they will be a hit in your home too.
Look at these pancakes! I wasn’t kidding when I said they were big, thick & fluffy!Print
Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes with Lemon Crema
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 people 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Truvia natural Sweetener packets
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted light butter, for cooking
- 1 cup blueberries, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or plain non fat Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Granola and maple syrup for serving.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil quinoa, cinnamon and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Let cool; discard the cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1 Truvia packet, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk quinoa, the buttermilk, milk and eggs.
- Add the wet mix to dry ingredients and stir until batter forms.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a 8′ cast-iron skillet over medium heat; cook 1/2 cup better until bubbles appear at edges of pancake, about 4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup blueberries and flip; cook 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven; and bake until pancake is crisp on the outside, 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining butter, butter and blueberries.
- While the pancake is cooking, whisk the Mexican crema with 1 Truvia packet, lemon zest and juice in a bowl.
- Top pancakes with lemon crema, more blueberries, some granola and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 1 large pancake
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 2401mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 252g
Keywords: Pancake recipes in cast iron skillet