I’ve been on a fish grilling kick lately. I think by now I have almost done it in every single way you can do it: in a special grilling basket, foil, on cedar planks and I even dared to cook salmon directly on the grilling rack! The key for the salmon not to fall apart during the grilling process is to dry it out in the fridge for 1 hour prior to cooking it. If it’s too moist then it will fall apart when you flip it. Also cooking it with skin side down first helps the salmon seal and not fall apart. Who would’ve thought!
Grilled Salmon with Tomato-Red Onion Relish is so easy to make that it’s the perfect weeknight dinner. You can even let the salmon dry the day before in order to save time. Pair it with these brown butter green beans for a complete healthy & delicious meal.
As a side note, about two weeks ago I grilled salmon for dinner and my step son devoured it! It was such a pleasure to see. He’s now starting to eat a lot of things that before he would not eat, like seafood, salads and other “grown-up” foods (now if I could only get him to eat eggs! 😉 ).
Adapted from Cooking Light MagazinePrint
Notes: *Allowing the salmon to dry in the refrigerator, will help it not to fall apart during the grilling process. *Soaking the onions in cool water removes some of the harsh taste.
- 1/2 small red onion, vertically sliced
- 4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- cooking spray
- Place paper towels on a large plate and place the salmon fillets. Place it the fridge uncovered for one hour to let them to dry out.
- In a small bowl, add the onions and cover with water. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine onion, oil, 1/8 tsp, 1/8 tsp pepper, tomatoes, capers, vinegar, and mustard in a bowl. Toss gently and set aside.
- Season salmon all over with salt and pepper
- Place salmon on grill, flesh sides down, on lightly oiled grill rack covered for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with tomato-onion relish.
- Serving Size: 1 fillet
- Calories: 294
- Fat: 13.2
- Carbohydrates: 5.5
- Protein: 39