Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup! This is a healthy recipe with the perfect ratio of chicken, noodles & vegetables that you and your family will love.
My husband wasn’t feeling too well this weekend and as any good wife would do, I made him this delicious chicken soup from scratch! The flavor is mild but enough to taste the combination of ingredients perfectly. I think this soup is the essence of American comfort food, and perfect for when you’re not feeling your best.
This reminds me that I still need to post my recipe for Caldo De Pollo which is the standard Chicken Soup but Mexican style. Instead of the noodles we add rice plus more vegetables. I will share that recipe with you very soon…. I promise 🙂
The homemade chicken stock is a real plus and I hope you’re able to cook the soup with it as well. I used store bought noodles and since they cook in about 5 minutes and put them directly in the soup, rather than cooking them separately from the chicken like other chicken noodle soups suggest.
My husband loved the soup by the way! This recipe is a keeper in the Muy Delish home 🙂
What is your go to recipe for when you’re not feeling well?
Recipe adapted from Inspired TastePrint
- 2 tablespoons butter, or avocado oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast strips
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock, low sodium (or store bought)
- 5 ounces egg noodles
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Water or more stock, as needed
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large (at least 8-quart), heavy-duty pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned in places, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme & oregano. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock and chicken. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the chicken vegetables are completely tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all are tender and the flavors meld, about 7 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking, transfer some of the cooked chicken to a bowl and shred into strips using two forks. Transfer the shredded chicken back to the pot and continue shredding the rest of the chicken in small batches.
- Stir in the parsley and season with salt & pepper to taste. Add more chicken broth if the consistency dense.
For a Mexican Traditional Soup, try my Sopa Recipe!