Three strikes, you’re out!!! Well, not quite but it was close enough! This is the third recipe I prepared for this blog since my last post and quite frankly I was very disappointed with the other two. If you follow me on Instagram (ehem, I hope you do!), you probably saw the photo I shared where I mentioned I was gifted with TWO big bags of lemons and was wondering what to do with them. Ever since then, I’ve been
obsessed thinking about making the perfect recipe to share with you all.
My first attempt was a Lemon Cake. It came out delicious but something happened during the baking process and it didn’t rise properly. It also cooked too fast so it was too brown on the outside. In other words…..too ugly to photograph 😉
For my second attempt I defaulted to my delicious Protein Lemon Pancakes. I photographed them and was ready to share the recipe with you but there was something about the photos I didn’t like. The colors were off and I just wasn’t proud of them. Yes, I can be weird like that so please don’t judge :p. I will eventually share that recipe with you because it’s just too good. Stand by for that one.
Finally I got it right on the third try! These lemons bars are delicious and very pretty too! The best part is they got the seal of approval from Mr. Delish. He calls himself a Lemon Bar
Snob Connoisseur so that says a lot!
Sure you can make Lemon Bars from a box but why do that when you can make better ones yourself? Seriously guys, there is nothing more satisfying than making desserts at home with fresh ingredients.
Recipe from Cuisine at HomePrint
These bars are best served the same day. If making ahead, refrigerate them; bring to room temperature and sift with powdered sugar before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Dessert
- For the crust:
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled & cubed
- For the filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 small or 2 large lemons)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon slices and mint springs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8-inch-square baking pan with foil.
- For the crust, toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Set aside 3 Tbsp. to layer on the crust.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, almond extract, salt and chopped almonds.
- Cut in butter with a fork or hands until mixture is dry and crumbly; press into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved almonds, pressing them into the crust. Bake until edges are golden, 20-25 minutes.
- For the filling, combine 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup flour; whisk in eggs, then lemon juice and zest.
- Pour filling over warm crust and dust with powdered sugar. Return to oven and bake until filling no longer jiggles in center, 18-20 minutes.
- Let bars cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove bars from pan by lifting foil by the edges; remove foil and cut into squares.
- Dust bars with more powdered sugar.
- Garnish bars with lemon slices and mint springs.