An easy recipe for Mexican Pickled Onions using red onions and lime juice as your base. A very popular condiment in Mexico for tacos & tortas.
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a glass bowl or jar, add all ingredients and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Taste again before serving and add salt if needed.
- The onions will turn into a deep pink color the longer they’re cured in the lime juice. I usually prepare this the night before I plan to serve them.
- Can be stored in refrigerator, covered for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 13
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 141 mg
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Mexican Pickled Onions, Cebollas encurtidas, Red Pickled Onions