Enjoy these Citrus Moroccan Chicken Kebabs with Yogurt-Clementine Sauce year round! The marinade is full of flavors that even the most picky eaters will love!!!
This Moroccan Chicken recipe is truly delicious and my husband loves it. Speaking of “selective” eaters, he’s not a fan of curries but somehow he loved this dish. So if you’re not into curries, you should still give these Citrus Moroccan Chicken Kebabs a try!
For this citrusy recipe I used clementines versus the traditional lemon flavors. Using clementines provides a great and delicious twist to this dish!
Why use clementines for this Citrus Moroccan Chicken Recipe?
I’m so lucky to live in sunny Arizona where there’s some kind of citrus available almost year-round; however, I understand that not everyone is as lucky as I am!
This is why I partnered up with Darling Clementines® to introduce you to this wonderful fruit that you can use year-round.
For over 28 years, Darling Clementines® have been imported from 5 different countries with the most fertile conditions and provides the U.S. with year-round, high quality clementines. The fruit peels very easily and they’re known for their bright color and rich, sweet flavor.
The marinade for these Moroccan Chicken Kebabs is all about the citrus flavor and those aromatic spices.
The clementines are first grilled in order to make them extra juicy and to soften up the peel. Just place the warm clementines’ peel & juice, spices, garlic & olive oil in a blender or food processor, and puree until the you reach a coarse but soft paste.
** I’m partnering with Darling Clementines for this amazing post. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for Muy Delish**
Craving more chicken recipes? Try this Chicken Pomodoro with Garlic SpaghettiPrint
For the marinade:
- 2 clementine’s
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch saffron threads
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1– ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
For the kebabs:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks
- ½ yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Fresh oregano leaves for garnish, optional
For the Yogurt-Lemon Sauce:
- ½ seedless cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt
1) Make the marinade:
- Cut the clementines in half and grill until grill marks appear and the top feels warm to the touch and the peel has soften up, about 3 minutes for each side.
- Remove from grill and set aside until they have cooled enough to handle. Separate the pulp and most of the white pith from the peel – Discard the pulp and pith and save the peel.
- In a blender, add the clementine’s peels, garlic, lemon juice, and remaining marinade ingredients and purée to make a coarse, soft paste.
- Set 1 Tablespoon aside to use for the yogurt sauce.
2) Marinate the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add the remaining marinade. Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade well and cover bowl with a lid or plastic wrap. Marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
3) Grill the kebabs:
- Put the onion and peppers with the chicken and massage them to coat with the marinade (the onion pieces may break apart but you can still thread them this way).
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, positioning a piece of onion and pepper between the pieces of chicken.
- When ready to grill, oil the grill grate or indoor grill pan.
- Grill the kebabs over direct heat (uncovered for charcoal; covered for outdoor gas grill,), turning the skewers every 2 to 3 min. until the chicken is firm and shows no redness when cut into, about 10 to 15 min. Note: Grill uncovered for indoor grill pan over medium heat.
4) For the Yogurt-Lemon Sauce:
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the reserved 1-tablespoon marinade with the cucumber, cilantro, yogurt, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Mix well. (Make the sauce no more than an hour before serving or it will be too watery).
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the skewers and serve them in a mound with the yogurt sauce on the side. Serve with couscous or pita bread.
The calories below are only for the chicken kebabs. The sauce was not included as it all depends on how much you use and the yogurt you select at the grocery store.
- Serving Size: 6 ounces of chicken
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 419 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg