You cannot go wrong with this Pumpkin Pie Crumble – with a shortbread bottom, a pumpkin pie layer and buttery pecan topping. Delish!
But before I go into more details about this fabulous pie, I want to thank everybody that entered my giveaway during the past few days! I loved reading about the different ways you would eat these delicious SweeTango® Apples and can’t wait to try a few of your ideas. The winning entry for these delicious apples is from AMY L!!!! SweeTango will be contacting you pretty soon to arrange the delivery of your gift. Congratulations!!!!
Now let’s talk about this pie shall we? 🙂
I swore I wouldn’t buy anymore cooking magazines for awhile since I’d just be adding to the huge
pile collection I already have. But I couldn’t ignore this one when I was shopping at Costco. The beautiful cake on the cover grabbed my attention and when I scanned the pages and saw this pie, I knew that was it! That’s all it took to convince me that it was okay to buy just one more 😉
I’m not sure if I’m the only one, but when I’m at the grocery store getting ready to pay, I secretly wish that the person in front of me takes a loooong time to check out. That gives me a little extra time to look at the magazines placed in the check out isles. Sometimes I love to browse thru the cooking magazines (hello, how do you think my
pile collection started?) and sometimes I love to read the headers of the gossip magazines (But shhh, I refuse to open those magazines and “pretend” I’m not into gossip. But since I’m not about to start lying to you, sometimes I wish the gossip was true! hehe)
Being the pumpkin pie lover that I am, I can honestly say that this is one of the best pumpkin desserts I have ever had! The crust is not typical and has a cake consistency, and the addition of the pecan crumble takes this pie off the charts! I can’t wait to make it for Thanksgiving and wow my guests.
The recipe calls for cake flour but if you don’t have any, don’t worry about it. You can make your own! Just mix cornstarch & regular flour. That’s it!
How to make 1 cup of cake flour: In a measuring cup, add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch then fill the rest with all purpose flour. Whisk well.
Recipe from magazine Bake From Scratch (fall 2015)Print
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 15 ounces of canned pumpkin pure
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 9-inch round pan with removable bottom and line with parchment paper.
- To make crust:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the butter and cut it in to form crumbs. Add the egg and combine until dough starts coming together.
- Add the crust mixture into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until it puffs up, then settles down and browns a bit.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Do not turn off the oven.
- To make the crumble (topping):
- While crust is cooling, in a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon and mix well. Cut in the butter until pea-sized.
- Add the pecans and combine until crumble mixture is starting to clump. Set aside.
- To make pumpkin filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, and spices together with a spatula.
- Add the egg and mix until incorporated well.
- Add milk and stir to a smooth consistency.
- Pour over cooled crust, and gently sprinkle the crumble evenly over the filling mixture.
- Bake until set, about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from pan. You can remove the dessert from the removeable pan bottom carefully, once fully cooled, and more successfully if you’ve lined the pan with parchment.