Ceviche is one of the ultimate healthy Mexican dishes! Fresh seafood, loaded with “good for you” veggies and just a little fat from the avocado.
- 1 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and divined
- 1 cucumbers – diced into small chunks
- 2 small tomatoes – diced into small chunks
- 1/2 Avocado, diced into small chunks
- Lime Juice – about 5 limes or more as needed
- 1/3 white medium onion
- 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, finely chopped – seeds optional
- 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup of clamato juice or V8 tomato juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Ketchup according to taste, optional
- Cut shrimp into small pieces and place in a plastic or glass container
- Add the lime juice making sure all of the shrimp is covered with it (add more lime juice if necessary).
- Cover shrimp and refrigerate for at least three hours (preferably overnight).
- Mix all vegetables, and set aside in the fridge.
- When the shrimp is cooked through (it will be pink), add the vegetables, clamato juice, salt & pepper and mix well.
- Serve with tostadas, saltines or tortilla chips. Add a little ketchup to personal servings if you decide to use any.
- Marinating the shrimp with the lime juice is the cooking process.
- Make sure to use real lime juice. Do not use lemons. The lime juice is more acidic and it’s needed to cook the shrimp thoroughly.
- I like to add a little ketchup as well since the sweetness of it magnifies all of the flavors! Don’t be afraid to try it.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 917 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 165 mg
Keywords: seafood, mariscos, healthy Mexican, cocktail, tostadas, no-cook