I know I know….”another shrimp recipe”….I can hear you saying….there’s no denying I love shrimp! Just go through my recipe files to see what I’m talking about 😉
But hey, shrimp is healthy, it cooks fast, has a mild flavor and it’s all protein! Now you know why I like to use it so often. I eat shrimp about 3 to 4 times a week. Once for dinner and the other times on salads & ceviche for lunch. And you know what? My cholesterol levels are perfect. I’m not bragging about my cholesterol levels but had to add that disclaimer due to concerns that shrimp is high in cholesterol.
Can you believe that summer is around the corner? In no time we’ll be saying Happy Holidays all over again!!! Hehe! Okay, dramatic statements aside, I’m really looking forward to the next few months even if the heat index in Phoenix will be unbearable at times. For starters, in a couple of weeks I’m going to Mexico for a family reunion on the beach! Can’t wait for my toes to touch the warm water and soft sand. I’ll let you how the reunion with my crazy family goes upon my return.
Other summer activities will involve camping, visiting historic nearby towns and seeing the progress of our new house getting built. Do you have summer plans already? Do tell!
Shrimp Salsa Bruschettas
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup jicama diced
- 1/4 cup minded red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 ounces medium or large shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 baguette sliced
- Soft butter to rub on baguette
- In a medium bowl, add the tomatoes, jicama, onion, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper.
- Butter the baguette slices and set aside.
- Preheat grill to a medium-high.
- In a bowl, toss the shrimp with olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Grill shrimp, covered, until cooked through. Abut 2 to 3 minutes per sides.
- While the shrimp is cooking, place the baguette slices on the grill (with butter side faced down). Grill about 1 to 2 minutes until slightly brown.
- Once the shrimp is cooked through, set aside to cool.
- Chop into bite-sized pieces and add to the salsa. Mix well and store in refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Serve over the baguette slices to form the bruschettas.