- 1 lb ground beef, 96% lean
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef.
- When the beef is half way cooked, add the celery, pepper and onion.
- Add the rest of the ingredients on a separate bowl and mix well (this is an optional step)
- When the beef is cooked all the way thru, drain the juices if any (I usually let it cook until all of the juice is gone. Since the meat is so lean it won’t have much fat juice to drain)
- Add the liquid mixture and simmer covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the meat has a consistency you like for serving on toasted buns