A delicious Strawberry Yogurt Streusel Cake with simple ingredients and super easy to make!
You will love how easy it is to make this Strawberry Yogurt Streusel Cake since it contains ingredients that you most likely already have at home and requires no electrical mixers for the batter.
I’m ready to transition into the “no baking zone” since the weather is not inspiring me to turn the oven on. But I could not resist to share with you this cake that I made for our Memorial Day family get together.
P.S. I may regret saying the “no baking zone” comment since knowing myself very well, I’ll be itching to bake some yummy things soon or later… just don’t hold it against me okay? 🙂
Strawberry Yogurt Streusel Cake
FOR THE STRAWBERRY PURÉE:
- 8 ounces strawberries
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE:
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 2 teaspoons Demerara or turbinado sugar
- Prepare strawberry purée: In a blender, combine strawberries and jam. Make a paste of cornstarch and vanilla, and add to blender. Purée until smooth.Set aside.
- Prepare cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9-inch springform pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Sprinkle in butter cubes and rub them in by hand until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup and set it aside. To large bowl, add sour cream,egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Using a little over half the cake batter, drop dollops of batter into pan. Pat batter across bottom of pan and about 1 inch up sides; mixture will be very sticky and somewhat uneven. Add strawberry purée, making an even layer across bottom of pan and leaving a rim of dough above it. Cover with remaining cake mixture.
- Prepare crumble topping: In a medium bowl, combine reserved 1/2 cup dough and Demerara sugar. Stir with a fork to mix. Sprinkle evenly over cake.
- Bake cake until lightly golden, about 45 minutes. Cool completely before serving.