Horchata de Arroz is a popular Mexican refreshing drink made with ground rice, milk and cinnamon. Learn how to make this delicious drink!
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1–12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1–12 oz can condensed milk
- 8 cups of warm water, divided
- Sugar to taste
- Ground cinnamon to garnish (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Wash and drain the rice. Place the rice, cinnamon stick and 4 cups of water into a bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Add 1/2 of the rice & water with some of the cinnamon stick in a blender. Puree until it’s as very smooth and it forms a paste like texture. About 4 minutes long.
- Using a very fine strainer (or some cheese cloth) pour the blended mixture over a pitcher. Strain out as much liquid as possible, pushing on the solids with a spatula or spoon.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the rice & cinnamon mixture.
- Stir in the milks, vanilla (0ptional), and 4 cups of water. Stir well.
- Taste and add more sugar or water if needed.
- Chill and stir before serving over ice.
To make a boozy version just add some rum to make Rumchata!
If you decided to use vanilla, don’t add too much of it as it will overpower the cinnamon & rice flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 132 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: Easy horchata recipe, receta, como hacer horchata, mexican drink