Apple Cupcakes with Almond Streusel
These cupcakes are light, very moist and delicious! The crunchiness of the streusel on top gives a very unique texture not found in your standard cupcakes that are covered with frosting.
Servings 12 Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Gala apple
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter chilled
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% reduced-fat milk
Make the Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place muffin cup liners in 12 muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and whisk.
In the bowl of an electric, combine the sugar, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup butter.
Beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add the almond extract, vanilla extract, and egg to sugar mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
Combine the Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until well blended. Combine apple and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; toss well.
Add flour mixture and Greek yogurt mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Fold in apple mixture.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
Make the Streusel
In a small bowl mix the 2 tablespoons flour, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon.
Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in almonds.
Sprinkle streusel evenly over cupcakes.
Bake at 350° for 24 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack, and remove the cupcakes from pan.
Make the Glaze
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons milk, stirring with a whisk.
Drizzle glaze over cupcakes.
Serving: 1cupcake | Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 38mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g