Galletitas De Nuez (Mexican Wedding Cookies)
Galletitas De Nuez (aka Mexican Wedding Cookies) are crunchy little cookies that melt in your mouth. The recipe is quick, simple and great for any occasion!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Servings 20 cookies
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract preferably Mexican
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
In a food processor, combine the pecans and ¼ cup sugar, and process until finely ground, about 30 seconds.
Add remaining sugar along with flour, cinnamon, and salt, and pulse until evenly incorporated.
Add butter and vanilla, and process until dough just comes together and you can form the balls. If the dough is too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water (1 at the time), and process again until you reach a more solid consistency.
Shape dough into ½" thick balls (I use a small cookie dough scoop for sizing purposes) and place on a tray/plate that you can fit in the fridge. Chill cookies for 30 minutes.
While the cookies chill in the fridge, preheat oven to 350°.
Transfer balls to a parchment paper lined baking sheet, spacing them 2" apart.
Bake the cookies, rotating baking sheet front to back halfway through baking, until lightly browned and set, about 14 to 17 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes, and then place in bowl of confectioners' sugar; toss to coat evenly in sugar.
- Do Not Overcook! The cookies are ready until they begin to set. Do not bake until they're completely firm. Otherwise, the cookies will be very hard once they cool off.
- Freezing Mexican Wedding Cookies: To freeze, place in an airtight container separating the layers with sheets of wax or confectioners paper. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bring them to room temperature.
Then I gently rolled them in powdered sugar again to freshen them up. Cookies will keep up to 4 weeks.
- These cookies are only 136 calories each! Easy to control the portions as they are small and rich in flavor. You only need a couple of them to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- The secret to keeping the powdered sugar on is to dredge the cookies while they're still slightly warm, so the powdered sugar gets melted and is a bit "tacky." Then allow them to cool fully. If needed, roll them again in powdered sugar. They will cover completely, they will look beautiful, and the sugar will stay on!
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 29mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g