Bistec Ranchero Con Papas
Bistec Ranchero is a traditional Mexican beef steak recipe, pan seared to perfection. A delicious meal loaded with potatoes, chiles, onions & tomatoes.
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium russet potatoes or 3 smaller potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 lb breakfast steak or any other thin steak thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 chile Anaheim, jalapeño or serrano peppers (see note 1) remove seeds for less spicy dish
- 3 Roma tomatos
- 4 oz Tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black ground pepper or more to taste
- 1 cup water or more if needed while cooking
In a large skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the potatoes and spread them on the skillet to cook evenly. Cook for about 5 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
Remove from the skillet and place in paper towels to drain oil. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
In same skillet, remove carefully most of the oil, only leaving about two tablespoons behind.
Over medium heat, cook the beef & garlic until the meat is almost all cooked through. About 4 minutes.
Add the onions and peppers and cook until onions start to soften. About 2 minutes. If this mixture is starting to dry, add about 1 cup of water.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
Once the tomatoes are soft, add the potatoes and mix well. Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes to blend all of the flavors together.
Taste and add salt & pepper to see if it needs more.
- You can use any combination of chiles. For this recipe I used 1 Anaheim pepper and one jalapeño for a mild flavor. If you like it more spicy add serrano peppers.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 157mg | Potassium: 680mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g