CHICKEN ENCHILADAS VERDES
These creamy Chicken Enchiladas Verdes will become your favorite enchiladas recipe! Made with flour tortillas, a creamy filling and baked to perfection.
Servings 12 enchiladas
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt (non fat, plain) substitute: sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 cups prepared salsa verde canned or homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen (thawed) or from a can
- 2 cups Shredded cheese like Chihuahua, Oaxaca, Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or even Cheddar. divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken Homemade or Rotisserie
- 12 to 14 soft round 6 to 8inch flour tortillas Optional: Corn tortillas
To make the filling
In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and the Greek yogurt.
Stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa and mix (see note #1)
Add the cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
Mix in the corn and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine everything well.
To Assemble Enchiladas
In a baking dish spread a 1/2 cup of the salsa over the bottom.
Place about a 1/3 cup of the filling on a corn tortilla, roll up and transfer to the baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas.
Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them.
Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese over the top.
To bake & serve
Transfer baking dish to preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve warm with rice, calabacitas, beans or your favorite Mexican dish.
#1 Cream cheese & yogurt mixture: This will be a little lumpy because of the cream cheese and that's okay. Just try to blend it the best you can but don't worry too much if you still have some lumps.
#2 Make ahead: Prepare the enchiladas all the way before baking and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Or you can make the creamy chicken filling a day in advance before assembling the enchiladas.
#3 Re-heating instructions: These enchiladas may be reheated in oven, covered with aluminum foil. Or microwave a single serving for about 2 minutes covered with a loose lid.
Serving: 2enchiladas | Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 1099mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g