Healthy Beef Chili
This Healthy Beef Chili is packed with protein, fiber, minerals, antioxidants and more. I like to use 96% ground beef but you can make it with ground turkey as well.
Servings 10 people
- 2 pounds 96% ground beef
- 1 quart tomato juice 1 29-ounce
- 1 can tomato purée 1 15-ounce
- 1 can red kidney beans drained (15-ounce)
- 1 can pinto beans drained (15-ounce)
- 1 medium-large onion chopped
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoon chili powder use 1/4 cup for more spicy less chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin use more for real flavor
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef.
Drain off the fat (if any).
In a large crockpot, add the beef and the remaining ingredients * See note for cooking it on stovetop.
Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 4 hours on low.
Serve warm with crackers or cornbread.
Stovetop instructions: Cook the beef as noted above.
Place the ingredients in a medium to large pot. Simmer on very low heat for 2 hours or until all of the flavors have developed well. Make sure not to cook it on very strong heat since it'll dry it out too quickly.
Stir often so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
Serving: 2cup | Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 694mg | Potassium: 1233mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 17IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 36mg