Lentejas (Mexican Lentil Soup) - healthy & delicious!
Sopa De Lentejas is a popular Mexican soup that is healthy, delicious and ready in 30 minutes or less. It's full of flavor! You can’t go wrong with a big warm bowl of lentil soup.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon avocado or grapeseed oil
- ½ small white or yellow onion diced in small squares
- 2 medium carrots diced in small squares
- 1 celery stick diced in small squares
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 5 cups vegetable stock warm
- 1 medium tomato diced in small squares
- 1 cup dry lentils rinsed and dried
- 1 teaspoon Vegetarian No Chicken Base (better than bullion)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the 1 tablespoon oil.
When the oil is hot, add the diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables become a little soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the broth, tomato, lentils, better than bullion, salt, pepper and oregano.
When it starts to boil, add the cilantro and cover pot with lid. Bring to a simmer.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 18 minutes. Check for taste and add more salt & pepper if desired.
Serve hot. For extra flavor add a few dashes of hot sauce and a little squeezed fresh lime juice.
- This soup can be made ahead by 3 days and kept covered and refrigerated. If making ahead, the lentils may soak up more liquid. When rewarming, add more stock or water to desired consistency.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 988mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g