Here I am standing at the kitchen counter typing this post and I’m cold! It’s 110 degrees out and my air conditioner is set to 80 degrees (I really don’t like it any colder than that.) What’s wrong with me that I’m always cold? I’ve been reading about my symptom and I think I’m deficient in Vitamin D.
Yeah I live in Phoenix Arizona (Helloooo it’s the valley of the sun!) so I should get plenty of vitamin D right? Well no. I really avoid the sun like a plague! Besides that I’m afraid of getting all wrinkly (I don’t have the best skin as it is), it’s too damn hot to spend any time outside! So I usually just go from a specific place to my car and back. I don’t think I spend more than 5 minutes a day outdoors! ….specially in the summer. I know, it’s pathetic.
The other day I was in the gym and started to get foot cramps! Say whaaa? I eat plenty bananas my friend! How can this be? Well, looks like it’s another symptom of vitamin D deficiency. Since I never get sick I rarely go to the doctor and I know I should get this tested but….. before I do, I’m going to start taking a vitamin D supplement to see if that helps. I’ll keep you posted on how it works 😉
If you’re interested in reading about how important vitamin D is, I found THIS great article that you may like.
These Shrimp Lettuce Wraps may not be loaded with vitamin D but they are darn delicious & nutritious! I’ve always been intimidated to cook asian food at home since it never comes out as good as I expect it to be. It’s one of those cuisines that I rather pay from a restaurant than to try to make my own. Well, these lettuce wraps just changed that! They are so easy to make, and so good that from now on, I will only eat these ones.
I think you should try them too 😉
Recipe adapted from book: Good For You (Williams-Sonoma)Print
Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stovw
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 head romain lettuce hearts
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ½ tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1.2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil, divided
- 30g cashews (little less than ¼ cup), coarsley chopped
- 6 oz shrimp, deveined & cut into small cubes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 green onions, the white and green, sliced
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ shredded carrots
- Divide the lettuce into leaves and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat ½ tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry until browned. About 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and discard any juices from the pan.
- In the same skillet, heat the other ½ tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, green onions, and carrots.
- Stir fry until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and add the cashews and cilantro. Add the soy-sauce mixture and stir-fry until the shrimp is throughly cooked. About 3 minutes.
- Spoon the shrimp mixture evenly onto lettuce leaves and enjoy!
- Serving Size: Half portion
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 753 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Cholesterol: 131 mg
Keywords: Lettuce Wraps