Ceviche De Camaron is one of the ultimate healthy Mexican dishes. Fresh seafood + lots of "good for you" veggies, can't get better than this! Serve it as an appetizer or as a light meal accompanied with tostadas, saltines or tortilla chips.
This Shrimp Ceviche Sonora Style is a family recipe that I would like to share with you.
There are so many versions of Ceviche that vary by region… and even by country that I felt the need to call it Sonora Style (where I was born in Mexico). As you know, ceviche is made throughout latin America and I'm sure other parts of the world.
In this post you’ll find:
Can't get enough seafood recipes? Then you'll love my Shrimp Aguachile too! It's a little different than ceviche as the shrimp is "cooked" less time (much less time).
The main ingredient is raw shrimp (peeled and deveined).
If you don't live close to a place where you can buy fresh seafood, the frozen kind will work perfectly. The seafood is frozen right after it gets captured to conserve its freshness.
- jalapeños and/or serrano peppers
- fresh cilantro
- clamato or V8 tomato juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- hot sauce
- ketchup (optional). Note: I like to add a little ketchup as well since the sweetness of it magnifies all of the flavors! Don't be afraid to try it.
How to thaw frozen shrimp:
Method 1) Place the shrimp in the fridge overnight if you have the time.
Method 2) The fast way: remove the shrimp out of its package and put it in a bowl of cold water. Let it sit in the cold water and change the water every 5 minutes until is completely thawed out. It should be ready to cook in about 15 minutes.
How to make Ceviche De Camaron
Step 1) Cut shrimp into very small pieces and place in a plastic or glass container (don't use metal as the acid from the lime does not go well with this material)
Step 2) Add enough lime juice making sure all of the shrimp is covered with it. I recommend you use a citrus squeezer for easiness! An "esprimidor" (manual lemon/lime juicer) it's one of those kitchen gadgets I recommend to every Mexican Food lover!
Step 3) Cover the shrimp's container with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours but preferably overnight.
Step 4) While the shrimp is marinating, start cutting the veggies and place in refrigerator.
Step 5) When the shrimp is cooked through (it will be pink), add the vegetables (except avocado), clamato juice, salt & pepper and mix well.
Step 6) Lastly add the avocado and fold gently into the mix.
Serve on tostadas, with saltines or tortilla chips. Mix in some ketchup to individual serving.
Is shrimp ceviche the same as shrimp cocktail?
Short answer is NO!
Is called Ceviche when the seafood is cured (cooked) in citrus juice. The rest of the ingredients can vary by region or taste
Shrimp Cocktail is made with boiled shrimp. The ingredients can be similar but the liquid part is made with some of the shrimp boiled water. So one is cooked in citrus juice while the other is cooked in water.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment and a rating below ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ as it helps other users (plus it makes me happy!). This is one awesome way to support this blog so that I can keep creating good content for you! Enjoy!
Ceviche De Camaron Sonora Style
- 1 lbs raw shrimp (frozen or fresh) peeled and deveined
- Lime Juice - about 5 limes or more as needed
- 1 cucumbers – diced into small chunks
- ⅓ white medium onion
- 2 small tomatoes – diced into small chunks
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers (or one of each) finely chopped – seeds optional
- ⅓ cup of fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 cup of clamato juice or V8 tomato juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Avocado diced into small chunks
- Ketchup according to taste optional
- Cut shrimp into small pieces and place in a plastic or glass container
- Add the lime juice making sure all of the shrimp is covered with it (add more lime juice if necessary).
- Cover shrimp and refrigerate for at least three hours (preferably overnight).
- Mix all vegetables, and set aside in the fridge.
- When the shrimp is cooked through (it will be pink), add the vegetables, clamato juice, salt & pepper and mix well.
- Serve with tostadas, saltines or tortilla chips. Add a little ketchup to personal servings if you decide to use any.
- Marinating the shrimp with the lime juice is the cooking process.
- Make sure to use real lime juice. Do not use lemons. The lime juice is more acidic and it’s needed to cook the shrimp thoroughly.
- I like to add a little ketchup as well since the sweetness of it magnifies all of the flavors! Don't be afraid to try it.
This recipe was originally published in Oct 2010. It has been updated to revise the content and photographs. The original recipe remains the same.