Make these simple & delicious Tuna Croquettes in less than 35 minutes! The secret to their soft and creamy texture? A plain mashed potato!
The potato mutes the tuna-taste a bit which is fine. They're not as fishy as other seafood patties tend to be which is perfect for picky eaters!
How to cook Tuna Croquettes
I like to use white albacore in water but you can use whatever tuna you may have handy. For the bread crumbs you can use seasoned or plain. This is the beauty of this dish! It's so flexible.
To make them just boil the potato then mix together with the tuna in a bowl and mash everything together.
To form the patties, add some tuna mixture and squeeze together to form the croquette. Then pass it thru the scrambled egg then the bread crumbs.
Usually these "Croquetas de Atun" are fried in oil to make them crispy but you can also bake them if you want to reduce the amount of oil used. But I must note that frying them in oil does not require a lot of it since it's a quick pass thru for about a minute on each side.
Baking the croquettes
Preheat your oven to 400 spray or coat with oil - If you have convection oven this would make them even crisper. I bake my breaded croquettes this way and they are always good and crispy.
How to freeze:
How to freeze: Prepare tuna croquettes up to step #3 then place uncooked flat on a tray. Place in freezer for about 4 hours and when frozen, then you can package for longer term storage. Place them in a freezer bag or plastic container with wax or parchment paper between layers.
Thaw in the fridge or kitchen counter top then cook as directed.
Ideas on how to serve Croquetas De Atun:
- Serve with a salad and plain white rice or my Mexican rice
- With Calabacitas or Espagueti Verde
- They can be served as tacos with my Cilantro Lime Mexican Crema & Chile Guajillo Salsa
Tuna Croquettes (Croquetas De Atun)
- Frying pan
- Baking tray
- Or Air Fryer
- 2 5 oz cans solid white albacore tuna in water or your preferred can of tuna
- 1 large russet potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs or panko crumbs
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
If frying in pan:
- 1 cup avocado, grapeseed or vegetable oil add more oil if needed
if baking or in air fryer
- olive oil for coating tuna patties
Make the croquettes
- Place the potatoes in a small sauce pan and cover with water. Cook on medium-high heat until potatoes are cook through. Drain when they're cooked.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the egg in a shallow bowl and beat with a fork. In another bowl, add the bread crumbs and season with salt & pepper. Set both bowls aside.
- Drain the tuna and place in a medium bowl . Add the cooked potatoes, salt & pepper.
- Mix well and mash tuna & potatoes with a hand masher or a fork.
- Form the tuna patties by squeezing them first then forming into patties. You can make them in any shape you want!
- Pass thru the croquettes thru the egg mixture then coat with bread crumbs.
- IN FRYING PAN: Heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry the croquettes until golden browned on all sides. About 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve while warm.
- IN OVEN: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the tuna patties on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spray or brush the top of the tuna patties with olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once, until golden browned on both sides.
- IN AIR FRYER: Preheat, arrange the tuna patties on surface. Spray or brush the top of the tuna patties with olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once, until golden browned on both sides.