This is not your typical Egg Salad Sandwich. The creaminess comes from mixing ricotta & cottage cheese and nothing else! It tastes very fresh and has a hint of buttery flavor. SO GOOD!
Everyone should have a recipe for Healthy Egg Salad. It’s one of those dishes that you can make ahead and use as needed, when needed. You can hard boil your eggs the night before, add the cheeses in the morning and take it to work.
You could even assemble everything the night before and you’re set! Enjoy a healthy breakfast, lunch or snack…. or whenever you want to eat it….we won’t judge 😉
Essentials for my creamy Egg Salad Sandwich:
There’s not much to this recipe but the result is amazing! It’s hard to believe that something so simple can be so delicious.
You only need hard boiled eggs (see below how to make them), part-skim ricotta cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, herbs of your choice (chives, thyme or rosemary), salt & pepper to taste, baby spinach leaves and some kind of healthy bread.
For these sandwiches I’m using a low calorie bread (only 45 calories per slice) like this 7 grain bread. Please consider this if you’re counting calories.
How to make hard boiled eggs
My method for hard boiled eggs is a little different than the conventional way but it works for me e v e r y s i n g l e time!! My mom thought me to make hard boiled eggs when I was about 9 years old since I loved to eat them with lime juice and chili powder lol!
Using this method the yolk never turns green even if I don’t place them in ice after they’re done!! (conventional methods have you do this)
So here you go:
How to make hard boiled eggs: In a small pot, place enough water to cover the eggs (don’t add the eggs yet), bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the eggs gently and cook for 15 minutes making sure the water is continue to boil slowly. Drain, cool in ice water and peel.
Making the Best Egg Salad Recipe
After your eggs are ready and have cooled enough to handle, place them in a medium bowl along with the thyme, ricotta & cottage cheese.
Using a fork, crush everything together until combined. Add kosher salt & fresh pepper to taste.
And finally just assemble the sandwiches with the egg mixture and the spinach.
Egg Salad Sandwich (w/ Ricotta & Cottage Cheese)
- 4 hard boiled eggs quartered
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme chives, or rosemary work too
- Kosher salt & fresh pepper to taste
- 8 small slices of wheat bread or your preferred artisan bread
- 1 ounce baby spinach leaves
- In a medium bowl, place the hard boiled eggs, thyme, ricotta & cottage cheese.
- Using a fork, crush everything together until combined.
- Add kosher salt & fresh pepper to taste.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the egg mixture and the spinach.
Muy Delish Notes:
- I'm using bread that is only 45 calories per slice. The macro-nutrients below will change if you use a higher calorie bread.
- How to make hard boiled eggs: In a small pot, place water enough to cover the eggs (don't add the eggs yet), bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the eggs gently and cook for 15 minutes making sure the water is continue to boil slowly. Drain, cool in ice water and peel.
Add Your Own Private Notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you'll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.
Looking for more awesome egg sandwiches recipes? You MUST try my Open Face Breakfast Sandwich…. delish!!!!