Hi all! How was your weekend my friends? Are you ready for the holidays? I still have some shopping to do but at least I managed to put a Christmas tree up last weekend. We debated whether to put one up this year (after having a very hectic year) and settled on doing a small (real) one (4 ft tall). I have fallen in love with it! I may continue getting a small real tree each year from now on. But who knows, I seem to change my mind all the time so don’t take my word for it 😉
What I’m sure of is that I got the bug to bake, bake & bake! So you may see a few dessert posts coming up pretty soon (this makes Mr. Delish very happy by the way 🙂 )
Don’t you love it when a comfort food dish is also healthy? Chili is one of those dishes that is packed with protein, fiber, minerals, antioxidants and more. I like to use 96% ground beef but I heard other people like to make theirs with ground turkey. I’m not in to ground turkey but if you are, you should give it a try! The other thing that makes this recipe fantastic is that you can cook it in the crock-pot without being glued to the stove having to stir it every 15 minutes. Who has time for that?
I found this recipe on Facebook attached to a generic photo. I don’t even know the exact source to credit accordingly. It’s supposed to mirror Wendy’s Chili but I made a few adjustments that made it better (IMO 😉 )Print
Healthy Beef Chili
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- 2 pounds 96% ground beef
- 1 quart tomato juice 1 (29-ounce)
- 1 can tomato purée 1 (15-ounce)
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained (15-ounce)
- 1 can pinto beans, drained (15-ounce)
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoon chili powder (use 1/4 cup for more spicy less chili)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (use more for real flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef.
- Drain off the fat (if any).
- In a large crockpot, add the beef and the remaining ingredients
- Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 3 hours on low.
- Serve warm with crackers or cornbread.