This healthy Beef Chili is a hearty and comforting dish, with rich and robust flavors that warm the soul. The lean ground beef is slow-cooked in a flavorful and spicy tomato-based sauce, infused with a medley of aromatic spices such as cumin, chili and garlic powder, plus oregano.
**This post was originally published on Dec 2014. It has been updated to be more helpful.
You’ve just found your new favorite Healthy Beef Chili! With only 15 minutes of hands-on time, it isn’t labor-intensive. Plus is healthy and delicious! The heat from the chilies is balanced by the sweetness of the onions and the tanginess of the tomatoes, creating a symphony of flavors in every bite.
Chilis made in the slow cooker are a fantastic make-ahead option for families who are constantly on the go, and this beefy version is no different. Serve with a simple green salad, cornbread or my tasty Skinny Cheddar Bay Biscuits for a dinner that will soon be a fan favorite.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Don’t you love it when a comfort food dish is also healthy? Beef Chili recipe is one of those dishes that is packed with protein, fiber, minerals, antioxidants and more. To keep it low fat, use 96% lean ground beef or ground turkey or chicken if you prefer.
To make this healthy chili recipe, you will need the following ingredients (amounts included in the full recipe card below).
- Beef: Use 2 pounds 96% ground beef for a very healthy & lean chili. You can use higher fat beef if you want but the higher fat content is not necessary for extra flavor. Additionally, this can be made with ground turkey as well.
- For the juice: All you need is tomato juice and tomato purée.
- Beans: Canned red kidney beans and pinto beans.
- The veggies: You’ll need onions, green bell pepper and celery.
- The spices: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, dried oregano, white sugar and cayenne pepper if you like to add a little kick to it.
How To Make This Beef Chili
Be ready! The aroma of the chile simmering on the stove fills the kitchen with a mouth-watering scent. Luckily, the entire prep process takes 15 minutes or less. Top Tip: To save time, get the other ingredients ready while you brown the beef.
- In a large skillet or a medium saucepan, brown the ground beef until almost all liquid is gone. Since the beef it’s low fat, you should not have much it.
Cooking it on slow cooker
- Once the beef is ready, add the cooked beef and the rest of the ingredients in a large crockpot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 4 hours on low.
Note: For me this is the best method for cooking Beef Chili. All of the flavors have time to develop well together without rushing the process. I have tried cooking it in the instant pot and it just didn’t do it for me 🙂
Cooking it on stove top
If you cook it on the stove top, place all ingredients in a medium to large heavy bottom pot. Simmer on very low heat for 2 hours or until all of the flavors have developed well. Make sure not to cook it on very strong heat since it’ll dry it out too quickly. Stir often so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
How To Serve
Serve warm with a side of fluffy and buttery cornbread, making it the perfect meal for a cold winter evening. This dish may also be served with toppings such grated cheese, diced onions, red pepper flakes and sour cream.
However, even though most people cook chili during cool weather days, I love to make it year round!
How to Store & Reheat
- Fridge: If you’re planning to eat the leftover chili within a couple of days, store in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Freezer: This chili will perfectly last up to three months in the freezer in an airtight container.
Place the chili in a small saucepan and reheat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot; or reheat in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes per bowl.
Hearty Soups To Try
I hope you like this recipe! Share it, or leave a rating and comment below. For questions that need an answer right away, please contact me and I’ll get back to you asap. Gracias!!!! xx, Ana
Healthy Beef Chili
- Slow cooker
- 2 pounds 96% ground beef
- 1 quart tomato juice 1 29-ounce
- 1 can tomato purée 1 15-ounce
- 1 can red kidney beans drained (15-ounce)
- 1 can pinto beans drained (15-ounce)
- 1 medium-large onion chopped
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoon chili powder use 1/4 cup to make it spicy
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef.
- Drain off the fat (if any).
- While the beef is cooking, turn the crockpot to low to start warming it up and start adding the remaining ingredients.
- *See note for cooking it on stovetop.
- Cover the slow-cooker with lid and let the chili simmer for 4 hours on low.
- Serve warm with crackers or cornbread.
Muy Delish Notes:
- In a large pot, cook the beef as noted above.
- Add the remaining of ingredients.
- Simmer on very low heat for 2 hours or until all of the flavors have developed well. Make sure not to cook it on very strong heat since it’ll dry it out too quickly.
- Stir often so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Add Your Own Private Notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.