Sopa de Lentejas is a delicious and super healthy traditional Mexican Lentil Soup. It is rich with vegetables, herbs plus you can top it with crispy bacon for extra flavor.
I love making soups! My most popular soup so far it's this traditional sopa and for good reason! Just like this sopa de lentejas, it is healthy, easy to make, delicious and it's ready in no time.
This sopa de lentejas is ready in less than 35 minutes, but it tastes like a Mexican soup that’s been simmering all day! This is one of our favorite soups, especially since it’s made from all staple ingredients.
? Video: making Sopa De Lentejas
For this Lentejas soup I keep to the basics:
- carrots for texture
- tomatoes for sweetness
- celery & onions for depth.
- Fresh cilantro, wilted into the bubbling mixture while it cooks, is a must!!
- a good broth: homemade is always the best but if this is not an option always buy the one that comes in a box. The canned stuff just doesn't make it!
- A note about the bacon: The traditional version does have bacon but many people are choosing not to use it due to dietary restrictions. Adding bacon is optional but it does add a richer taste and a lovely crispy texture at the end.
? How to make Sopa De Lentejas
- Prep all of your ingredients by cutting everything into small squares as shown on the image above.
- Cook the bacon in a medium pot, over medium high heat until is nice and crispy. Turkey bacon may be used instead or just skip the bacon altogether. Use avocado or grape seed oil to substitute the fat from the bacon.
- Once the bacon is crispy, remove it from the pan but try to drain as much fat as possible. Transfer to a small plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- Adjust heat to medium. Add diced onion, celery, garlic & carrots. Sauté until the vegetables become a little soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, chicken broth and spices including the bullion cube.
- When it starts to boil, add the cilantro
- Cover pot with lid. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Check for taste and add more salt & pepper if desired.
- Serve while it’s hot and garnish with crumbled crispy bacon. For extra flavor add a few dashes of hot sauce and even a little squeezed fresh lime juice.
This soup is totally hearty but healthy comfort food. It’s packed with flavor and fills you up so this soup is an all-around win!
? Sopa De Lentejas (Mexican Lentil Soup)
- 3 bacon strips Optional. Use 1 tablespoon of avocado or grape seed oil instead
- 1/2 small onion diced in small squares
- 2 medium carrots diced in small squares
- 1 celery stick diced in small squares
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock heated up
- 1 medium tomatoe diced in small squares
- 1 cup dry lentils rinsed and dried
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a medium pot, cook bacon in until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate, leaving fat in pan.
- On the same pot, adjust heat to medium. Add diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté in bacon fat until they vegetables become a little soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, bullion cube, salt and pepper.
- When it starts to boil, add the cilantro and cover pot with lid. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Check for taste and add more salt & pepper if desired.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon. For extra flavor add a few dashes of hot sauce and even a little squeezed fresh lime juice.
- Turkey bacon may be substituted.
- For a vegetarian option, just skip the bacon, and replace the chicken stock & bullion with vegetable version ones.