Sautéed Champiñones A La Mexicana are the perfect side dish for any meal! The mushrooms, onions, jalapeño and tomato add so much flavor to this dish…it just might be the Mexican Mushrooms I’ve ever had.
Just here to let you know that your weeknight veggie side dish (or main dish) dilemmas have been forever resolved! If anybody tells you that there are no healthy Mexican dishes, now you can disprove them once and for all!
I love dishes that mix fresh, healthy vegetables with extra flavorful ingredients. It’s the easiest way to make sure you’re packing in plenty of nutrients into your meals. Besides being super delicious, these Champiñones are good enough to eat on its own, but it pairs well with other main dishes.
I have no doubt that you’ll love this easy recipe.
The fact that the ingredients list for Mexican Champiñones tops out at seven items is yet another reason to love it dearly. Even a jam-packed, schedule-managing weeknight brain can probably remember the two or three things you’d need from the store to make this recipe.
Here’s everything you’ll need to make the greatest mushroom recipe ever:
- Olive oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
- Red onion
- Jalapeño peppers
- Roma tomatoes
- Champiñones (white button mushrooms) – Some people don’t like to wash them but I do!
- The seasoning: Kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder
- And chopped cilantro
How To Make Champiñones A La Mexicana
Grab your trusty large skillet and a good appetite—a super healthy, easy, full of flavor dinner is so close we can taste it!
- In a large skillet or pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and jalapeños and sautée for 3 minutes or until they start to get soft.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and cook until they start to get soft. About 2 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mix well to integrate all ingredients.
Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
Enjoy as a side dish or main dish with refried beans or Mexican rice.
My husband likes to have some kind of meat with his meals and we add some grilled or sauteed shrimp to his dish. For me? I like to eat them as is!
These Champiñones go perfect with a side of refried beans, Mexican rice, served as tacos, with chicken, as a fill for enchiladas or as a side dish for Bistec Ranchero or even with just some crusty bread.
Another great idea is to serve as an appetizer! On top of tostadas, or a piece of sliced baguette and serve as tapas. Sooo good!
Either way you choose to serve them, they will be a hit!
How to Store
- Fridge: Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Let the mushrooms cool completely. Then place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Reheat in the microwave on high for 60-90 seconds.
Mexican Vegetables Recipes
? If you enjoyed this recipe I’d love it if you take 5 seconds to rate and review it below on the blog. It’s also super helpful to me and other readers if you share any changes you made to the recipe. I’m so grateful you’re here! ??
Champiñones A La Mexicana Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large red onion chopped into small pieces
- 2 jalapeño peppers chopped into small pieces
- 2 large (220g) roma tomatoes chopped into small pieces
- 1 pound (450g) champiñones (white button mushrooms) washed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and jalapeños and saute for 3 minutes or until they start to get soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they start to get soft. About 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mix well to integrate all ingredients.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Enjoy as a side dish or main dish with refried beans or Mexican rice.
Muy Delish Notes:
Add Your Own Private Notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.
I absolutely love this recipe. I’ve made it multiple times! Usually, I cut it in half, because I’m cooking for one, but I never get tired of them so this time I made the full recipe. It’s perfect with rice and beans. Thanks to these mushrooms, you are one of my favorite people.
Mmmmhhh muy ricos!!!
Grilled up a nice NY strip steak and had these on the side. Perfect! Wanted a change from the usual basic sauteed mushrooms. This may be my new go to with steaks!
These Champiñones A La Mexicana were so flavorful, Ana! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Thanks so much Emily! I’m delighted that you liked them. They’re definitely my favorite now. Cheers!
These Mexican mushrooms turned out Delicious!!!!
I’m so happy you liked this recipe! I really appreciate you taking the time for the comment. I hope you make them again soon as they are truly delicious. Gracias!
This Mexican mushrooms recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal. It was ready in no time! Plus my kids loved it too. Will be making it again!
Thank you Claudia for making these Champiñones. I appreciate your comment! XO, Ana