Elote Asado Mexicano is the perfect summer treat in everyone's cookout. You can't beat the delicious combination of sweet corn infused with smoky flavors from the grill.
When I was a kid I would eat Elotes like most kids eat Ice Cream!! No joke. We had the Elotero (Mexican street corn man) on bicycle go by our house almost everyday. And every day I would eat one! Those days were golden!
On another note, did you know that National Corn on the Cob day is June 11th? Well now you do! To celebrate, let's make delicious treat ?.
This Elote Asado recipe is so delicious that I guarantee you'll be licking your fingers!! All you need is a few basic ingredients:
- Corn on the cob with husk on. One per person.
- Fresh limes
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Crema - This is more delicious than the typical mayonnaise and crumbled cheese used on Mexican street corn. I promise!
- Chili Lime Seasoning or your favorite chili powder.
How to grill the corn
- Place the corn (husk and all) in a large pot or plastic tub and fill with water. Soak the corn for at least 30 minutes. This will help cook the corn better on the grill.
2. Pull the husks back from the corn and remove the silk and pull the husks back in place. Don't remove the husks before grilling as they are vital to the flavor and cooking process.
Note: You can leave the silk on the corn and remove it after it has been grilled. Choice is yours 🙂
3. Place the corn directly on a heated grill rack and close the lid. Turn the corn every 3 minutes and cook about 30 minutes total.
4. Transfer corn to a platter and without detaching the husks, peel them back completely, turning them inside out so they form a handle.
5. Brush the corn with some butter and return the corn to the grill for about 5 minutes, turning them frequently.
Return to the platter and brush with the Cilantro Lime Ranch & sprinkle with Chili lime seasoning or something like Tajin.
The corn is cooked thru when the kernels are easy pierced with a fork.
Yes you can! Make sure not to cook it for much longer than 30 minutes on the grill or it will become mushy.
Grilled corn will stay warm for about 30 minutes with the husks on. If you need to reheat it for any reason, just place in a microwave covered for about 1.5 minutes to steam it a little bit.
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it? By adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Muy Delish get even better!
For the corn
- 5 fresh ears of corn with the husk on
- strips of soaked husk for tying the bulk of the husk
- 1 Tbsp butter at room temperature
Cilantro Lime Ranch
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk ranch seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup cilantro about a small handful
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Chili lime seasoning Or something like Tajin
How to Grill The Corn
- In a large pot or tub, soak the ears of corn in water at least 30 minutes. Place something heavy on top of them so that they don't float.
- Pull the husks back from the corn, remove the corn silk and pull the husks back in place. See notes.
- Place the corn directly on a heated grill rack and close the lid.
- Turn the corn every 3 minutes and cook about 30 minutes total.
- Transfer corn to a platter and without detaching the husks, peel them back completely, turning them inside out so they form a handle.
- Brush the corn with some butter and return the corn to the grill for about 5 minutes, turning it frequently.
- Return to the platter and brush with the Cilantro Lime Ranch & sprinkle with Tajin or Chili Powder.
Make the Cilantro Lime Ranch
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.