Elote Asado is the perfect summer treat in everyone’s cookout. You can’t beat the delicious combination of sweet corn infused with smoky flavors from the grill. Learn how to grill it to perfection!
***This post was originally published on Nov 2019. It has been updated to be more helpful.
🌽 Mexican Grilled Corn
When I was a kid I would eat Elotes like most kids eat Ice Cream!! No joke. We had the Elotero (Mexican street corn man) on bicycle go by our house almost everyday. And every day I would eat one! Those days were golden!
Why grill your corn?
Did you know? Farmers in southern Mexico first cultivated corn about 10,000 years ago from a wild grass called teosinte!
This Elote Asado recipe is so delicious that I guarantee you’ll be licking your fingers!! All you need are a few basic ingredients:
- Corn on the cob with husk on. One per person (more if you want, I don’t judge lol).
- Fresh limes
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Crema – This is more delicious than the typical mayonnaise and crumbled cheese used on Mexican street corn. I promise!
- Chili Lime Seasoning or your favorite chili powder.
How to make Elote Asado
- Place the corn (husk and all) in a large pot or plastic tub and fill with water. Soak the corn for at least 30 minutes. This will help keep the corn juicy inside and prevent the husks from burning too fast on the grill.
- Pull the husks back from the corn and remove the silk and pull the husks back in place. Note: You can leave the silk on the corn and remove it after it has been grilled. Choice is yours 🙂
Remember: don’t remove the husks before grilling as they are vital to the flavor and cooking process!
3. Place the corn directly on a heated grill rack and close the lid. Using a large metal tongs, turn the corn every 3 minutes and cook about 30 minutes total.
Note: To know when the corn is cooked through, pull some of the husk back and pierce the kernels with a thin sharp knife. If it’s tender, then you’re done!
4. Transfer corn to a platter and without detaching the husks, peel them back completely, turning them inside out so they form a handle. If you didn’t removed the silk before cooking, remove them at this point.
5. Brush the elote asado with some butter and return the corn to the grill for about 5 minutes, turning them frequently. This will provide that extra char and the delicious smoky flavor. You can skip this process if you don’t want the charred texture.
Return the grilled corn to a platter and brush with the Cilantro Lime Ranch & sprinkle with Chili lime seasoning or something like Tajin.
What to Serve With Grilled Corn
Every grilled corn s recipe needs to be accompanied by other delicious and easy to make dishes. Here are some of my favorites.
- Grilled Sweet Potato Tacos: Say hello to the Best and healthy veggie tacos! These sweet potato tacos are always delicious full of flavors. Enjoy!
- Blackened Salmon Tacos and a tall glass of Limonada. This combo is amazing!!
- Ensalada De Pollo (Mexican style chicken salad): This dish is perfect for a summer gathering and to enjoy with corn on the cob on the side.
The corn is cooked thru when the kernels are easy pierced with a sharp knife.
Yes you can! Make sure not to cook it for much longer than 30 minutes on the grill or the corn will become mushy.
Grilled corn will stay warm for about 30 minutes with the husks on. If you need to reheat it for any reason, just place in a microwave covered for about 1.5 minutes to steam it a little bit.
Side Dishes Recipes
💫 If you make this Elote Asado be sure to leave a comment and rating in the comment section below. Buen Provecho!! 🙏
- 5 fresh ears of corn with the husk on
- strips of soaked husk for tying the bulk of the husk
- 1 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk ranch seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup cilantro about a small handful
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Chili lime seasoning Or something like Tajin
How to Grill The Corn
- In a large pot or tub, soak the ears of corn in water at least 30 minutes. Place something heavy on top of them so that they don't float.
- Pull the husks back from the corn, remove the corn silk and pull the husks back in place. See notes.
- Place the corn directly on a heated grill rack and close the lid.
- Turn the corn every 3 minutes and cook about 30 minutes total.
- Transfer corn to a platter and without detaching the husks, peel them back completely, turning them inside out so they form a handle.
- Brush the corn with some butter and return the corn to the grill for about 5 minutes, turning it frequently.
- Return to the platter and brush with the Cilantro Lime Ranch & sprinkle with Tajin or Chili Powder.
Make the Cilantro Lime Ranch
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.
Corn Nutrition Benefits
Corn is a whole grain it is very good for you! It is naturally gluten-free, and that’s why corn tortillas are a great alternative to wheat for those who must avoid gluten. Here are a few more health benefits of corn.
- vitamin A
- vitamin B
- vitamin E
- vitamin K
- Many minerals and high in fiber.
Corn is also great to keep your digestive system healthy due to high fiber according to Webmd.