Delicious & refreshing Limonada! This is an easy recipe that makes 6 cups of perfect sweet lemonade or limeade each and every time.
Everyone loves a tall fresh drink especially during spring or summer months. This recipe is perfect by itself or to enjoy with this Dragon Berry Lemonade recipe for a refreshing cocktail.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a refreshing and healthy drink that will impress your friends and family. Don’t forget to experiment with different variations to find your favorite.
Fun Fact about Mexican Limonada:
In the U.S. people call the fruit a lime or lemon accordingly. In Mexico, limes and lemons are both called limones. So lemonade in Spanish will always be Limonada whether is made with yellow lemons or green limes.
Mix both types of citrus to make lemon-limeade. So good!
The key to sweeten it perfectly
So what’s the key to make perfectly sweetened limonada each and every time? Use simple syrup instead of regular sugar!
By using simple syrup (instead of sugar), you can use cold water to make the Limonada! Usually sugar does not dissolve well in cold water so this is the perfect way to start a cold drink without having to add extra sugar.
- Fresh lemon or lime juice. Nothing beats fresh citrus juice!
- The sweetener: I like to use simple syrup but agave syrup is also a great choice.
- Cold water.
- Garnish: sliced limes or lemon wedges and mint. Optional.
I found the perfect ratio for a delicious Limonada to be 1 cup simple syrup + 1 cup lemon or lime juice + 4 cups of water.
If you’re using Mexican or key limes, which tend to be a little bit more acidic, start with 3/4 cup of juice and adjust from there. Or if you use 1 cup of lime juice, you may need to add a little more simple syrup to balance the bitter flavor. Unless of course that’s your thing 😉
It all depends on how juicy your limes or lemons are and their size. Typically it will take about 8 large juicy limes or about 4 large juicy lemons .
This drink is a versatile and can be customized to suit your taste. Here are a few variations you can try:
- Add sparkling water for a fizzy twist.
- Infuse the limonade with fresh herbs like basil or thyme for a unique flavor.
- Mix in fruit juice like strawberry or raspberry for a fruity kick.
- Add a shot of your favorite spirit like vodka or gin for a boozy twist.
- Look for limes or lemons that are heavy for their size. This means they are juicy and have a higher water content, which is what you want.
- Check the skin for firmness and smoothness. A good lime/lemon will have a firm, smooth skin without any blemishes or soft spots.
- Smell the lime/lemon. If it smells fresh and citrusy, it’s probably a good one. If it doesn’t smell like anything or has a musty odor, it may not be as fresh.
Making this refreshing drink could not be easier than this. Just squeeze the lemon or lime juice, place it in a jar, add the simple syrup, water and stir to combine all ingredients.
Note: If using limes, you can use a citrus squeezer or just use your hands. However, make sure you strain the seeds away if doing it with your hands.
How to get the most juice out of a lemon or lime
If you want to get the most juice out of your lemon, there are a few tips and tricks you can use to make the process easier and more efficient. Let’s take a look!
- Roll it: Roll your lemon on a hard surface with your hand to break down the pulp and make the juice easier to extract. This can be done before or after cutting the lemon.
- Microwave it: If you’re in a hurry, you can microwave your lemon for 10-15 seconds to help it release more juice. Be sure to cut the lemon in half before microwaving it.
- Use a citrus reamer: A citrus reamer is a handy tool that can help you get every last drop of juice out of your lemon. Simply cut your lemon in half, place it on top of the reamer, and twist it back and forth to extract the juice.
- Squeeze it: If you don’t have a citrus reamer, you can squeeze your lemon by hand or with a juicer. To do this, cut your lemon in half and use a fork or lemon squeezer to press down on the fruit and extract the juice.
- Heat it up: If your lemon is cold, you can try warming it up by placing it in warm water for a few minutes. This can help the juice flow more easily.
- Use a mesh strainer: If you want to remove any pulp or seeds from your lemon juice, you can strain it through a mesh strainer.
So there you have it – some simple tips and tricks to help you get the most juice out of your lemon.
How to Store
- Fridge: Fresh limonada should be stored in an airtight container, such as a glass jar or plastic bottle, and refrigerated immediately after it is made. The container should be tightly sealed to prevent air from entering, which can cause the juice to spoil more quickly.
- Freezer: Use a freezer-safe container like a plastic jug. It’s important to leave some space at the top of the container as the juice will expand when it freezes.
- Defrosting: Thaw in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, you can also thaw it at room temperature for a few hours.
- How long does homemade lemonade last? Stored in the refrigerator lasts up to 5 days.
Yes you can! Just juice the lemons or limes, place the juice in a freezer bag and store for up to 6 months.
Could be you’re using old lemons or the lemons were not ripe enough. Avoid scraping the white pith that lies right beneath the peel. The pith makes it bitter.
Homemade limonada lasts in the fridge, up to 7 days.
Limonade can be a healthier option when made with fresh ingredients and without too much added sugar. Some of the citrus nutritional benefits is high vitamin c, antioxidants and magnesium.
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it? By adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Muy Delish get even better!
- 1 cup fresh lemon or lime juice About 4 large lemons or 8 to 10 large limes
- 1 cup simple syrup
- 4 cups cold water
- Ice for serving
- Using a lemon or lime squeezer, juice the lemons/lime until you reach one cup.
- In a large pitcher, add the lemon/lime juice, the simple syrup & water.
- Mix well and enjoy over a glass filled with ice.
Muy Delish Notes:
Add Your Own Private Notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.
Don’t forget to also follow on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Youtube.
I love to make limonada for my family since it’s so easy to make! I freeze the lime juice as you suggested and have it ready to make in a minute. Thanks for the recipe!
This Limonada is a beauty!! This drink is perfect for my spring book club meeting next week!!!!!!!
I’m so glad you liked it Malena! I bet it’ll be a hit in your meeting. Enjoy!
This limonada is sweet and refreshing! So easy to make.