These creamy Chicken Enchiladas Verdes will become your favorite enchiladas recipe! Made with flour tortillas, a creamy filling and baked to perfection.
There are probably millions of recipes for Enchiladas Verdes on the internet – so why am I posting one here on my blog? Because this one is one of my family's favorites and people ask me for the recipe all the time!
You should try it too. It's so flavorful! On busy nights I buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco (those babies are delicious!), shred it, mix the ingredients, roll, bake, and voila! You have dinner ready in less than an hour.
In this post you’ll find:
Ingredients for Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
Gather all of your ingredients and get them ready to mix:
The Tortillas: You can use any flour tortilla from the grocery store or you can make my homemade tortillas ahead of time. The size can be from 6 to 8 inches.
The Chicken: Cook your chicken at home and shred it or just buy a rotisserie chicken if pressed for time.
The Cheese: Any melting cheese will work. My favorite options are queso Chihuahua, or Oaxaca. But even mozzarella, Monterrey jack or even a mild cheddar cheese will work!
The Yogurt & Cream Cheese: I use plain non fat Greek Yogurt but you can also use sour cream or any other plain yogurt. They're all similar in taste and texture that it won't affect the outcome that much. Use your preferred cream cheese.
Corn & Spices: Use frozen or canned corn. For the spices you'll need cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper (you can substitute with paprika for a less spicy option), salt & pepper
Step by step process
1) In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and the Greek yogurt. Note: if you're using cream cheese from a box, make sure to bring it to almost room temperature so it's softer.
2) Stir in ½ cup of the salsa and mix.
Note: The mixture will be a little lumpy because of the cream cheese and that's okay. Just try to blend it the best you can.
3) Add the spices to the cream and Greek yogurt mixture and mix well.
4) Now mix in the corn and shredded cheese.
5) Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine everything well.
Now it's time to make the enchiladas verdes!
6) Start by spreading about ½ cup of the salsa verde over the bottom of a baking dish.
7) Place about a ⅓ cup of the filling on a flour tortilla, roll up and transfer to the baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas.
8) Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them.
9) Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over the top.
10) Transfer to preheated oven at 375 and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
? Top Tip! These chicken enchiladas with green sauce may be reheated in oven, covered with aluminum foil. Or microwave a single serving for about 2 minutes covered with a loose lid.
Prepare the enchiladas all the way before baking and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Or you can make the creamy chicken filling a day in advance before assembling the enchiladas.
These chicken enchiladas verdes will go perfect with my Arroz Primavera (Mexican White Rice), Red rice or Refried beans. If you would like to include more veggies into this dish, then Calabacitas will be the perfect side dish for you!
Oh and don't forget to drizzle some delicious Mexican crema and sprinkle some chopped cilantro. Delish!
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it. By adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Muy Delish get even better! ? Gracias!!!!
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS VERDES
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt (non fat, plain) substitute: sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 cups prepared salsa verde canned or homemade
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen (thawed) or from a can
- 2 cups Shredded cheese like Chihuahua, Oaxaca, Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or even Cheddar. divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken Homemade or Rotisserie
- 12 to 14 soft round 6 to 8inch flour tortillas Optional: Corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
To make the filling
- In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and the Greek yogurt.
- Stir in ½ cup of the salsa and mix (see note #1)
- Add the cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Mix in the corn and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine everything well.
To Assemble Enchiladas
- In a baking dish spread a ½ cup of the salsa over the bottom.
- Place about a ⅓ cup of the filling on a corn tortilla, roll up and transfer to the baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese over the top.
To bake & serve
- Transfer baking dish to preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm with rice, calabacitas, beans or your favorite Mexican dish.
This recipe was originally published in December 2013. Post has been updated with more photos to be more helpful. Enjoy!