Picadillo is a savory dish made with ground beef and vegetables. There are so many variations of it throughout latin countries that the possibilities are endless! Some people put olives, green peas, carrots, celer or any other vegetables that suits them that day. Today I’m going to show you how to make the Picadillo my mom made for us while growing up in Sonora Mexico.
Beef Picadillo is an easy dish that is prefect for weeknight dinners since it all comes together in about 45 minutes or less. I like to make it healthy by using 96% ground beef and instead of frying the potatoes in lots of oil, I used very little to just coat the potatoes and give them a little crispy texture. It’s also very versatile since you can serve it in tacos, on a plate with a side of beans and tortillas, tortas, & tostadas. You could even make it into Mexican bowl and serve it over yellow rice. Yum!
I hope you get to make this! If you do, Buen Provecho!
Here is Picadillo served on tacos with beans at the bottom, topped with salsa verde, avocados & queso fresco.Print
- 1 large russet potato, chopped in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb 96% ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 poblano chile or 1 Anaheim chile, chopped
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup broth (chicken, beef or vegetable. Anything works). Add more for a more juicy dish
- 1/2 cup (roasted or regular) corn kernels
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix the cubed potatoes with olive oil and cook in a small skillet on medium heat. Keep stirring to ensure that the potatoes are cooked even.
- While the potatoes cook, cook the ground beef in a medium sauce pan on medium high heat. Add the garlic salt. Break the beef into small pieces while you stir.
- When the meat is 3/4 cooked, add the onions, tomato, chile tomato sauce, & broth. Cook until the onion becomes clear and meat is completely cooked.
- Add the corn kernels and potatoes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve while is hot.