Healthy Pork Carnitas are made with lean pork to reduce the fat and all you have left is a dish that consists of lean protein. The pineapple salsa gives a great blend of spicy and sweet flavor to the tacos.
Normally carnitas are very fatty and I would not consider them as a healthy dish! That's due to the type of meat you cook and how much fat you include in it.
Using lean pork, in this case tenderloin, will reduce the fat and all you have left is a dish that consists of lean protein.
The spiciness of these carnitas comes from the chipotle pepper and the pineapple salsa gives a great blend of spicy and sweet flavor to the tacos. I hope you enjoy it!
As far as calories goes for this recipe, it's hard to set a specific number since what you put in your tacos will vary that number. I usually get tortillas with the lowest amount of calories since
I'm a big eater and try to get the most volume for my calories ;). Make these delicious carnitas and serve them as tacos. Add this delicious pineapple salsa, avocado, pickled onions and a splash or lime juice and you're set!
Healthy Pork Carnitas
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin cut in chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried orégano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¾ cup orange juice
- Coat the crockpot with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper & chipotle pepper
- Add the pork tenderloin chunks and cover with the spices mixture. Rub the pork with the mixture to make sure the pork is coated well.
- Add the bay leaves, onions, garlic and lastly, the orange juice
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low until the pork is fork tender.
- Remove the pork from the crockpot and place in a large bowl. Discard all of the juice and mixture from the crockpot.
- Shred the pork using two forks. Place the shredded pork on a cooking sheet and broil until the meat starts to get a little crispy. Make sure not to burn the pork!
- Serve carnitas on corn tortillas, top with avocado, pickled onions & the salsa of your choice. Recommended with the featured pineapple salsa.