This Tomatillo Salsa Verde is the perfect green sauce to serve on your table for a variety of dishes and it’s also perfect to make enchiladas & chilaquiles verdes. A true versatile salsa!
Tomatillo salsa, one of the greatest taco toppings, is a cinch to make! The tomatillos are stripped of their papery skin, which can get sticky at times. To avoid sticky fingers when you’re peeling & cutting them, just wet your fingers a little bit and that should do the trick 😉
How to Make Tomatillo Salsa Verde
The preparation could not be easier than this!!!
To bring all of the flavors from the onions, garlic & peppers, we sauté them first until lightly browned.
We then cook the tomatillos in chicken stock for a few minutes until soft.
Once the tomatillos are cooled slightly, we add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until you reach the desired consistency.Print
This sauce is perfect for enchiladas, chilaquiles, beef, etc. It also works great as a green tomatillo salsa to serve on your table. To make it spicy, just add a another jalapeño or a serrano pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 poblano chile, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 4 cups tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a saucepan and heat over medium high heat. Add the 1/2 cup onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1 poblano, and 1 jalapeño and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the 4 cups of tomatillos and chicken stock
- Simmer until soft. About 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Add the tomatillo mix and cilantro in a blender and puree. Note: do not add all of the liquid from the tomatillo mix as it may make the sauce to runny. If you see it too dry then add more of the liquid as you puree it. It should have the consistency of cooked salsa.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Salsa Verde, Salsa Verde Recipe, Tomatillo Salsa, Tomatillo Salsa Verde, Tomatillo Sauce
I’m also very excited to mention that I have the privilege to be part of the BlogHer network now. This a wonderful network for women bloggers and for women readers.
To visit my page just click on the link on the right sidebar of this blog. If you’re a food blogger you know it can be difficult to be accepted! I’m not ashamed to say that I applied last year and was not approved. So I made some improvements to my blog and decided to try again this year. Boom! Got accepted!
This goes to show you that hard work always pays off. 🙂