Chilaquiles is a Mexican classic dish made with tortilla chips, smothered in green or red sauce, and other main ingredients such as melted cheese, corn kernels, shredded chicken, beef, shrimp, chorizo or fried eggs. For this recipe I baked the tortilla chips to reduce the oil and used shredded rotisserie chicken to save time from cooking the chicken. This Tomatillo Sauce was used but if you fancy red chilaquiles instead, you can use my classic Red Sauce that goes perfectly with this dish.
Chilaquiles is one of my all time favorite Mexican meals and I’ve been making them as far back as I can remember. I think I started making them since I was 14 years old! Of course back then I didn’t make everything from scratch and used tomato sauce spiced with chili powder instead of homemade sauce but it still tasted like heaven!
I hope you enjoy this much improved version of my classic chilaquiles 🙂
Make these Chilaquiles with this Tomatillo Sauce recipePrint
Chicken Green Chilaquiles
You can make the Tomatillo Sauce ahead of time to save time for weeknight dinners. Using rotisserie chicken will save additional time.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 31 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- 12 corn tortillas (cut into triangles)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded chicken breast (I use rotisserie)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups of homemade tomatillo sauce or store bought
- 1⁄3 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- sliced radish (optional for garnish)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush the corn tortillas triangles with olive oil (use 2 Tbsp or as much as needed) and place on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for about 6 minutes or until slightly brown and crispy. Set aside
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet on medium heat and add onions. Cook until soft.
- Add the corn & shredded chicken. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add the tomatillo sauce and stir, cook for another minute or two and remove from heat.
- Add the cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with rice or beans.