Pastel De Elote (Sweet Corn Cake) is one of the most popular cakes in Mexico since it’s delicious and so easy to make. I love to serve it with cajeta (caramel sauce), whipped cream, powder sugar, strawberries and even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
It’s the summer so that means everything is corn! Including this delicious cake that I love to eat topped with ALL of these suggestions for you. If you don’t want to eat it with a bunch of extra ingredients, I highly recommend at least trying the cajeta/caramel sauce. The cake itself is not super sweet so adding another layer of sweetness completes it.
Speaking of summer, how is yours going? It’s only July so that means we still have about three more months of hot weather! We’re not even half way there LOL! But for some reason, the heat is not getting to me this year. Is my body finally adjusting to the desert heat? I’ve lived here my entire life so you’d think that would have happened sooner LOL! Or is it age related? Hmmmm….let’s not go there okay…..who wants to talk about that boring topic anyway? 🙂
I baked this cake on a 9 inch iron skillet and came out wonderful! You could also bake it in individual small skillets for a more fun presentation. There is no right or wrong way to bake this cake!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (soft)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons half and half
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen (thawed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream the sugars and the butter. Add the eggs one at the time beating after each other to incorporate.
- Add the vanilla and oil.
- Over low speed, add the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the half & half and buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the corn and pour mix over your prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Cool for a few minutes and serve warm with cajeta* (caramel sauce), whipped cream, strawberries, powder sugar and/or ice cream.
I truly recommend using the cajeta/caramel sauce as it gives a very rich delicious flavor.