An easy recipe for Mexican Pickled Onions using red onions and lime juice as your base. A very popular condiment in Mexico for tacos, tostadas, tortas and more!
This is a quick recipe since it doesn’t involve heating up your stove to boil water for the onions. See, some people cure the onions by “bathing” them in very hot water for a few minutes, draining them, then adding the ingredients.
I make mine super easy by cutting those steps!
How do you make pickled onions fast?
Just cure them in lime juice! The pickling process with the lime juice mellows the strong flavor of the red onions and make them palatable to those who are not huge onion fans.
Just toss together the sliced onions, lime juice, a little bit of vinegar, salt & pepper at least 30 minutes before serving and you’ll be ready to elevate your Mexican dishes to a higher level!
Just make sure to use a glass container since metal & plastic are not a good choice to cure in lime juice. The acidity does not go well with these materials.
Limes make the best curing ingredient!
The lime juice acidity is perfect to cure a lot of food from onions to seafood. It provides a tangy flavor that’s the perfect balance for any Mexican dish. In my opinion, limes are a key ingredient in Mexican cuisine.
Refrigerate the extra for later uses. Makes a nice garnish for several of my recipes in this blog.Print
Mexican Pickled Onions
An easy recipe for Mexican Pickled Onions using red onions and lime juice as your base. A very popular condiment in Mexico for tacos & tortas.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a glass bowl or jar, add all ingredients and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Taste again before serving and add salt if needed.
- The onions will turn into a deep pink color the longer they’re cured in the lime juice. I usually prepare this the night before I plan to serve them.
- Can be stored in refrigerator, covered for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 13
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 141 mg
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Mexican Pickled Onions, Cebollas encurtidas, Red Pickled Onions