Tortas are the classic Mexican sandwich with so many variations just like with tacos. Every different region in Mexico has their own Torta version. If you go to any “loncheria” (luncheonette), you will see that you can get what you prefer: ham, chicken, chorizo, milanesa (breaded steak), cheese, beans, pork, etc.
The other day I went to my Fry’s Food grocery store and saw pork shoulder roast on sale. I decided right then and there that it was time for me to prepare you my favorite type of tortas: Chipotle Pork. These are so good and so easy to make that I have no doubt you’ll be hooked.
The best part is that you can prepare the pork in a slow cooker and most of the work will be done without any stress! I’m all for that! 🙂
You’ll love the chipotle mayo and I’m sure you’ll find other uses for it (hamburgers anyone??). I strongly recommend the onions as they add a very nice crunch to the torta. If you like very spicy food, you can add more chipotle to the pork or add sliced jalapeños to the torta as a topping.
Enjoy my friends!
Recipe adapted from BHGPrint
Chipotle Pork Tortas
Tortas are the classic Mexican sandwich and this juicy shredded pork version is healthy, easy to make and delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 tortas 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, fat removed, cut into 2 inch chunks.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce*
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 12 ounce can cola
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 bolillos or sandwich rolls split
- Sliced avocado
- These Pickled onions
- Sliced jalapeños
FOR THE CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime, juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season meat generously with salt and pepper. Place meat in slow cooker.
- In a food processor or a blender, add the onion, chipotle peppers, lime juice, garlic, cumin and half of the cola. Cover and process until smooth. Add the remaining cola and stir until combined well.
- Pour cola mixture over pork.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or low-heat for 7 to 8 hours.
- Transfer a few pieces of meat to a small bowl and shred it using two forks. Return meat to the slow cooker and repeat process until all of the meat is shredded.
- Toast the buns (optional) and spread chipotle mayonnaise on cut sides. Add the shredded pork, and top it with cebollas curtidas and sliced avocado.
FOR THE CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and puree. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. The calorie count does not include the torta bread or any other topping. However, Mayonnaise has been counted for.
- Serving Size: 1 torta
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 300 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: torta recipe, Mexican sandwich, shredded pork, crockpot, easy and healthy, protein, gluten free