Esparragos Asados sprinkled with olive oil, salt & pepper and a little lemon zest. That's all they need to be delish!
Best of all, they can be grilled right alongside the main dish and they cook up quick! They're the perfect healthy vegetable to serve just like Calabacitas are.
How to choose good Esparragos
When buying fresh esparragos at the grocery store, select stalks that are firm but tender. Wilting asparagus have seen better days and won't cook well.
The end of the stalks should be moist and plump. Stay away from ends that look dry, cracked, or “woody”. These are no bueno 😉
- Fresh Esparragos (Asparagus), ends trimmed as pictured below.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt & Pepper to taste ( I love to use Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. It does make a difference!)
- Lemon zest
- Shredded Parmesan
- Outdoor grill, indoor skillet grill or even just a regular skillet for those times that you can't grill outdoors.
How To Cook Esparragos:
Esparragos must be one of the easiest vegetables to cook out there. They don't need much to make them delicious!
Start by cutting the dried ends of esparragos and toss the asparagus with oil, salt, and pepper
Preheat the grill to medium-high, and arrange asparagus crosswise on grill grate and grill covered.
Rotate a couple of times to ensure even cooking. They only take about 5 minutes to cook!
Alternative cooking methods:
When I can't use the grill, asparagus can also be cooked
- On a hot skillet. The cooking time would be the same time as if they were grilled.
- Roast them in the oven at 400 degrees until the tips are toasty and brown. About 10 to 12 minutes.
Once they're cook, just toss your asparagus with the lemon zest and shredded parmesan cheese.
Easy peasy right?
Do you know that Asparagus is good source of folate, vitamin K, and fiber, among other nutrients? Medical News Today talks all about this plus other great benefits you get when eating asparagus.
More grilled recipes
Esparragos Asados (Grilled Asparagus)
- ½ pound fresh esparragos (asparagus) ends trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- Minced zest of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan or more to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high
- Toss the asparagus with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange asparagus crosswise on grill grate and grill covered, turning often until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from grill and toss with lemon zest and parmesan cheese.
This recipe was originally published in Sept 2018. Post has been updated to be show step by step instructions and to be more helpful.