This oats & yogurt bowl is just what it takes to make a healthy breakfast. A filling meal that involves rolled oats, Greek yogurt and fruits. A great taste but also a very nourishing combo.
Oats & Greek Yogurt are my go-to ingredient when it comes to getting the fibers intake up. They make a filling breakfast especially when combined with protein-rich ingredients like plain non-fat Greek yogurt.
Skip the pre-flavored ones as they are often filled with unwanted sugar & calories. Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, some kind of berries or banana, are among my favorites toppings or mix ins.
Tip on cooking the oatmeal
Instead of cooking the oatmeal on the stove, I cook it in the microwave to save time. However, the key to cooking the oatmeal correctly in the micro without spilling it, it's to cook it for 4 minutes at half power.
If you cook it at full power it won't give it enough time to develop the consistency you get when cooking it on the stove top. There you go my friends! Now you know the secret 🙂
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these delicious Maple Walnut scones! They are truly one of my favorite things to make too.
Another good tip is to use rolled oats vs. quick oats. They're just much better for you!
Oats & Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup 40 grams rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 227 grams plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 2 or 3 packets of stevia or your preferred sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional toppings:
- peanut butter
- your preferred nuts: almonds pecans, walnuts, etc.
- chia seeds
- bananas mangoes, blueberries, strawberries, etc.
- Add the oats, water, sweetener, & cinnamon
- Microwave for 5 minutes on half power
- Remove from microwave and let it cool for about two minutes
- Add the greek yogurt and mix well
- Add your toppings and mix until everything is combined
- (notes - the calorie count only includes the oats & greek yogurt (120 calories per serving from Trader Joe's. Depending what yogurt you use and the toppings you add, the calorie content will change)
Let me tell you why I love this meal so much!
When I have to be on the road early in the morning, I never build in the time for a sit down breakfast before I have to head out. I just like to get up, get ready and out the door I go! I rather sleep an extra 30 minutes than to build time for a sit down breakfast. I'm a night owl so I'll take any extra time for sleep when I can 😉 This means, taking something with me that I can eat in the car or at my destination place. Oats & yogurt is my go to meal for these occasions. Always.
My husband on the other hand, wakes up, reads the paper or watches a morning show, eats breakfast, irons his clothes for the day, and builds in plenty time to get ready before heading out to work. I wish I could do that but I can't!
What kind of morning person are you? Do you get up, get ready and go? Or do you like to do other stuff before you have to get out the door?