This is the best Agua De Pepino you could ever make. Enjoy this delicious, refreshing and easy to make recipe.
This is a classic Mexican beverage perfect for any time hot summer's day. One sip of this Agua Fresca De Pepino will make you feel like you’re somewhere in Mexico, it’s like a vacation in a glass! Plus is so easy to make!
In this post you’ll find:
Good For You
Did you know that cucumbers are considered super food?! According to Healthline, cucumbers are super healthy: "It’s high in beneficial nutrients, as well as certain plant compounds and antioxidants that may help treat and even prevent some conditions.".
Keep the cucumber's peel as that's where most of the beneficial nutritional value is found.
You don't need many ingredients to make Agua Fresca De Pepino. In fact, the original recipe is only with 3 ingredients!
- 4 cucumbers washed very well & cut in small chunks (discard the ends). Keep the skin on.
- 4 cups water divided
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar adjust to taste
You can adapt the recipe to fit your needs. If you don't want to use refined sugar, use your favorite non calorie sweetener such as Truvia or Stevia.
How to make Agua De Pepino
Making this cucumber drink is even easier than making my beloved Horchata! It's a matter of cutting the cucumber in chunks and blending them with water in a blender then straining it to remove the chunks. That's it!
Use a fine mesh strainer to keep all of the cucumber pulp out. It's okay if a little bit goes thru. Just make sure you stir your jar before you pour it into a glass.
The proportions of water to sugar, are completely a matter of taste, so adjust the recipe as you like but my formula is to do: 1 cup of water per cucumber with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Personally I add 1 packet of non calorie sweetener per glass when trying to avoid sugar and this is another option for you!
Variations for this Agua De Pepino
One of the best things of this drink is that it's so versatile and adjustable according to taste! Here are just a few ways that you can change it up.
- The regular way: Cucumber + Water + Sugar
- With limes: Add 1 lime per cucumber or adjust to taste.
- Sugar Free: Instead of using regular sugar, sweeten it with your favorite non calorie sweetener.
What does agua fresca mean? This simply means fresh water. What it really means in Mexico is that it's made fresh daily without preservatives!
How long does agua fresca last in fridge? This particular Cucumber drink tastes better if consumed within two days. My best suggestion is for you to make it the day you plan to drink it.
Can I mix it with other fruits or vegetables? You can mix it with peach or apple but the color of the drink would not look that good ;). My suggestion is to add a couple of celery stalks to make it a super food smoothy!
Refreshing Agua De Pepino (Cucumber Agua Fresca)
- 4 cucumbers washed very well & cut in small chunks (discard the ends)
- 4 cups water divided
- ½ ½to ¾ cup sugar adjust to taste
Version #2 - With Limes
- Juice of 4 large limes
- ¼ cup additional sugar if needed
Version #3 - Sugar Free
- ⅓ cup Truvia or your favorite non calorie sweetener Note: Truvia is the closest in flavor to real sugar and it dissolves well.
Version #4 - With alcohol
- 1 shot of good tequila or vodka to each individual serving
- Version #1
- In a blender, add 1 cucumber, & 1 cup of water. Process until smooth
- Strain mixture through a strainer into a bowl then transfer to a pitcher. Discard the solids.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cucumbers.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Cover and refrigirate for at least an hour.
- Serve over ice (makes about 7 - 8 oz glasses)
- Version #2 - With Limes
- Follow the above process and add the lime juice right before you add the sugar.
- Version #3 - Sugar Free
- Repeat the first process and add Truvia instead of sugar
- Version #4 - With alcohol
- Add the shot of tequila to individual servings.
- Keep the cucumber's peel as that's where most of the beneficial nutritional value is found.
- Calories are for version #1 made with ½ cup of sugar.
This recipe was originally published in August 2016. Post has been updated to be show step by step instructions and to be more helpful.