This is the best Agua De Pepino you could ever make. Enjoy this delicious, refreshing and easy to make recipe.
Cucumber Agua Fresca
This classic agua fresca is the perfect drink for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a gathering or just lounging by the pool on a hot day. It’s refreshing, healthy, and bursting with flavor, making it a crowd-pleaser for everyone.
This is one of my go-to drinks when I’m hosting friends and family as it makes you feel like you’re somewhere in Mexico, it’s like a vacation in a glass! Plus is so easy to make!
Good For You
Did you know that cucumbers are considered superfood?! According to Healthline, cucumbers are super healthy: “It’s high in beneficial nutrients, as well as certain plant compounds and antioxidants that may help treat and even prevent some conditions.”.
Keep the cucumber’s peel as that’s where most of the beneficial nutritional value is found.
Pin this recipe for later!
Now, let’s move on to the recipe. This Agua Fresca De Pepino is incredibly easy to make and requires only 3 ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cucumbers: The secret to that vibrant green color is on keeping the skin. It also provides lots of nutrients and flavor.
- Sweetener: You can use sugar, agave, maple syrup or honey. For this recipe I’m using white sugar.
- Fresh lime juice: optional to add a little zing to the drink.
You can adapt the recipe to fit your needs. If you don’t want to use refined sugar, you can also use your favorite non calorie sweetener such as Truvia or Stevia.
How to make Agua De Pepino
Making this cucumber drink is even easier than making my beloved Horchata!
This is a visual overview of the steps to make this recipe. See the detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- In a blender, add 1 cucumber & 1 cup of water at the time.
- Process until smooth. Repeat process for the rest of the cucumbers.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to keep all of the cucumber pulp out. Push the mixture with a spatula or large spoon to squeeze as much as the juice out. It’s okay if a little bit goes thru.
- Transfer the agua into a jar, add your sweetener and stir.
- Chill the agua fresca in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld together. When you’re ready to serve, pour the drink over ice and garnish with extra mint leaves and lime slices.
Tips and Notes
- The proportions of water to sugar, are completely a matter of taste, so adjust the recipe as you like but my formula is to do: 1 cup of water per cucumber with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Storing: Fresh cucumber water should be stored in an airtight container, such as a glass jar or plastic bottle, and refrigerated immediately after it is made. The container should be tightly sealed to prevent air from entering, which can cause the juice to spoil more quickly.
- For best taste: Agua De Pepino should be consumed within 2-3 days after it is made.
Variations for Agua De Pepino
One of the best things of this drink is that it’s so versatile and adjustable according to taste! Here are just a few ways that you can change it up.
- The regular way: Cucumber + Water + Sugar
- With limes: Add 1 lime per cucumber or adjust to taste.
- Sugar Free: Instead of using regular sugar, sweeten it with your favorite non calorie sweetener. Personally I add 1 packet of non calorie sweetener per glass when trying to avoid sugar and this is another option for you!
- Garnishes: Want to make it look pretty when serving it? Use herbs like mint, basil, a sprig of rosemary, slices of cucumber, a slice of lime and even just a cute little flower.
What does agua fresca mean? This simply means fresh water. What it really means in Mexico is that it’s made fresh daily without preservatives!
How long does agua fresca last in fridge? This particular Cucumber drink tastes better if consumed within two days. My best suggestion is for you to make it the day you plan to drink it.
Can I mix it with other fruits or vegetables? You can mix it with peach or apple but the color of the drink will look a little muddy and not this bright green color. My suggestion is to add a couple of celery stalks to make it a superfood smoothie!
I hope you like this recipe! Share it, or leave a rating and comment below. For questions that need an answer right away, please contact me and I’ll get back to you asap. Gracias!!!! xx, Ana
Agua De Pepino (Cucumber Agua Fresca)
- 4 cucumbers washed very well & cut in small chunks (discard the ends)
- 4 cups water divided
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar adjust to taste
- 1 large lime optional
- ⅓ cup Truvia or your favorite non calorie sweetener Note: Truvia is the closest in flavor to real sugar and it dissolves well.
- In a blender, add 1 cucumber and 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a strainer into a bowl then transfer to a pitcher. Discard the solids.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cucumbers.
- Add the sugar and mix well. If using lime juice, add it at this point and adjust sugar to taste.
- Cover and refrigirate for at least an hour.
- Serve over ice.
Muy Delish Notes:
- Keep the cucumber’s peel as that’s where most of the beneficial nutritional value is found.
Add Your Own Private Notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.