My love for tamarindo goes waaay back to when I was little. I probably began to eat spicy Mexican candy when I was two years old lol! See, in Mexico, most spicy candies are made of some kind of tamarind mixture, sugar & chili powder. As far as I can remember, I’ve been addicted to this stuff along with anything made with it: agua de tamarindo, raspados, candy & paletas. My older cousin even gave me the nickname of “Tico” (a Mexican candy he used to see me eating all the time)…. he still calls me that by the way LOL!
This recipe makes the Agua Fresca de Tamarindo you use for the Paletas. Easy peasy…. kill two birds with one stone. My kind of recipe 🙂
Overall this is easy to make but the hard part is removing the seeds from the pods after they cook. Unless you’re making a big batch (since it could easily be doubled) then removing the seeds should not take too long (10 minutes tops).
p.s. My friend requested a recipe for Tamarind Margaritas and since her wishes are my command, I’ll be sharing that recipe soon as well. Did I hear someone say Margaritas??? hmmm…. twist my arm will ya? 😀Print
This recipe is to make Agua De Tamarindo and can be used to make the Paletas. Tajin it’s a Mexican spice blend sold at most grocery stores. Look for it in the Latin aisle or the next to the fresh fruit.
- 10 to 12 large fresh tamarind pods
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups of water +
- 68 ounces water (2 litters)
- Chili powder or Tajin (optional)
- Remove the shells from the tamarind and the strings as much as possible.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil then add the pods and sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Stir a few times while it cooks
- Remove tamarind mix from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Remove the seeds from the pods with very clean hands.
- In a blender, add the tamarind mixture and puree.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve pressing on the pod solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Transfer the pulp to a pitcher and add the remaining water
- Pour paletas mixture equally into molds and freeze for at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks. Sprinkle with tajin or chili powder if desired.
- Enjoy the remaining Agua over ice.