These crispy & spicy chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are oven roasted with only 4 ingredients making for a very healthy snack!
I have a confession to make: I love having snacks around home for when I get the munchies. You know what I mean? Sometimes you’re not truly hungry but you just want to eat something. If it’s crunchy, even better!
That’s when these Crispy & Spicy Chickpeas are perfect! Having healthy snacks at home is crucial so you’re not filling your body with junk. That way at least you’re eating something good for you.
How are chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas are an excellent source of zinc, folate and protein! 100 grams of plain chickpeas contains 164 calories, 2.6 grams of fat (of which only 0.27 grams is saturated), 7.6 grams of dietary fiber and 8.9 grams of protein.
Chickpeas also provide dietary phosphorus (49–53 mg/100 g), with some sources citing the garbanzo’s content as about the same as yogurt and close to milk. I am lactose intolerant so this is extremely important for me!
Recent studies also show that they can assist in lowering your cholesterol. [source here]
Roasting the spicy chickpeas
The process of making roasted chickpeas it’s so easy! But there are a few important notes to know about so that you get that perfect crispy texture:
- Drain the can juices and rinse under cold water.
- Place the chickpeas on a baking pan making sure to do a single layer (I like to cover the baking pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up).
- Bake for 30 minutes first before you add the other ingredients. This is the key step that will make amazing crispy chickpeas. By doing this, you will ensure that the chickpeas get dry and the oil will adhere better and achieve the perfect crispy texture.
Want more chickpeas recipes?
Try this Cocido De Garbanzo (Spanish Chickpea Soup) for your next meal! It’s so delicious and easy to make as well.Print
- 2 – 15 oz cans chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes shaking the pan a few times throughout.
- Take out of oven and toss them with the oil, salt and chili.
- Bake for another 30 minutes shaking the tray a few times during this cooking time.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 443
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0