I made these pies this weekend not realizing today is Pi Day. Somehow I always miss these “National” food days but today is not the day! I’m very happy about this coincidence to say the least.
My husband says I’ve spoiled him and he can’t eat Chicken Pot Pies anywhere else except mine. And I can’t blame him since they’re pretty darn good! This is a very basic pie and that simplicity is what makes it so delicious. I could give you the fancy version…..you know, cook your own chicken, make your own pie crust, cut vegetables, etc., but who has time for that these days?
Instead, I’m giving you my speedy version by using Rotisserie Chicken (my favorite) and pre-made pie-crust. From start to finish it takes me about 1 hour and 10 minutes (including baking time). Not bad for a Chicken Pot Pie! If you want to make this for a weeknight meal, you could prepare the filling the night before and all you have to do is assemble the pie and bake the next day. I actually like this method better as it allows the chicken mixture to thicken a little more and it gives it a better consistency. But either way it’s delicious!
Oh and I usually just make one large pie but for the sake of pretty photos I made two personal pies 🙂 (which I think I’ll continue doing seeing how easy it is to serve this way)
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 12 oz peas & carrots mix frozen bag
- 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix to make egg wash (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, onions and celery and cook until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth. milk frozen carrots & peas, and cubed chicken. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. About 5 to 10 minutes. Taste for flavor and add more pepper and/or salt if needed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Line the bottom of a 9-in. pie pan with one of the pie crust.
- Pour the chicken mixture over the bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust and seal edges, Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Optional: Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.