This Cocido de Garbanzos (Spanish Chickpea Soup) is a healthy version that has enough meat to keep you satiated for hours but it’s also loaded with veggies that are good for you.
In Mexico, I grew up eating a few dishes from Spain that were part of our culture and this dish is one of them. We can’t deny that a lot of our foods were inherited from Spain since the Spaniards invaded Mexico after all! Heck! Even my last name is Spanish: Frias!
The mix of cultures has been happening for centuries and I truly cannot imagine a world where we all lived divided. The people, the food, the cultures would be just plain boring!
This dish has so many flavors just like our world does. But seriously, it’s healthy & filling making it perfect for this time of year where people’s diets start to decline due to all of the holiday treats that start to be part of the season.
I hope you get to make it since it’s delicious. The leftovers can easily be frozen if you think it’s too much or just cut the recipe in half.
Cocido de Garbanzos (Spanish Chickpea Soup)
- Total Time: 4.5 hours
- Yield: 6 to 8 1x
- 1 lb dried chickpeas (soaked overnight), drained
- 1 lb chicken breast, skinless & boneless
- 4 ounces Spanish style chorizo, cut into 1/2 inches rounds
- 8 baby red or white potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium cabbage (about 1 lb), cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a 6 quart (or larger) slow cooker, place chicken, chickpeas, chorizo, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, salt & pepper, oregano, paprika & saffron.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan and add it into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, add the cabbage into the soup, cover and cook until it is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Shred the chicken and add back into the soup; season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.