This delicious & refreshing Paloma Cocktail is a blend of tequila, grapefruit juice, a little bit of squirt and a splash of lime. It’s the perfect drink for any occasion.
***This post was originally published on Dec 2015. It has been updated to be more helpful.
Did you know that next to Margaritas, Palomas are one of the most popular drinks in Mexico? Made with just a few ingredients, these make for a great fun signature cocktail that’s simple to make. They are super refreshing with just the right amount of sweet.
Lime and grapefruit juice are a match made in heaven, add a little bit of tequila (or a lot, I don’t judge lol) and you have one delicious cocktail on your hands!
Palomas are a simple drink and you don’t need much to make this delicious cocktail! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Good quality tequila – This drink can also be made with mezcal if you prefer.
- Fresh grapefruit juice – if grapefruits are not in season, choose a high quality grapefruit juice.
- Fresh lime – nothing best the flavor of fresh lime juice!
- Squirt soda – this ingredient will make it perfectly sweetened.
- Crushed ice – This is the best type of ice for this recipe.
- Lime or grapefruit wedges for garnishing
***Make sure to scroll all the way down to the recipe card to get the full ingredient list and written recipe.
The Best Tequila For Palomas
Don’t skimp on a good Tequila! A silver or blanco tequila is best for Palomas. Look for one that is made of “100% agave”. If the label does not say this, the tequila may include corn syrup, sugar, artificial flavors or colors. Stay away from those!
For mixed drinks, we like to use a good tequila such Corralejo Reposado. This is not the most expensive tequila out there but it works perfect for mixed drinks. Save the best ones for when we choose to sip tequila.
You really don’t need much to make a Paloma. Just a few simple tools and ingredients and you’re ready to go! These are the things I like to keep around my kitchen for cocktails.
- Cocktail glasses
- Citrus Juicer
- A large cocktail stirrer
- Pitcher – if making for a party
How to make a Paloma Cocktail
Palomas are very easy to make. It’s a simple drink with simple instructions. This will make a single glass and can easily be doubled for an 8 ounce drink. If you want to make Palomas for multiple people, see right below for tips on making a pitcher.
- Start by filling up a cocktail glass with crushed ice. All the way to the top!
- Then add the tequila, grapefruit juice and Squirt.
- Add one small squeeze of lime juice from one wedge.
- Stir well with a stirrer and garnish with a lime or grapefruit wedge.
“My husband and I enjoyed this drink on a hot summer night, and we absolutely loved it! So refreshing and great after a long day. Definitely one of our new favorites and I can’t wait to make this for our gathering this weekend!”
Can you make a batch for a large crowd?
Yes! You can absolutely make this recipe for a large crowd! I’d recommend adjusting the serving size using the built in tool found in the recipe card below. It’s the best way to find out how much to make for your gathering.
You can mix all ingredients in a jar and reserve in the fridge until ready to use. Then at the last minute just serve over ice.
Serve a refreshing Paloma with any of these dishes that makes the perfect menu:
- Start with Queso Blanco or Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus
- A salsa is a must! Roasted Tomato Salsa, Salsa Verde or Pineapple Salsa are always a good choice. Don’t forget the tortilla chips.
- Baja Fish Tacos, Taquitos, Chicken Tinga or Chipotle Pork Tortas.
- For the sweet tooth serve with Flan, Pastel De Elote, or Fresas Con Crema.
More Cocktail Recipes
? If you enjoyed this Paloma recipe I’d love it if you take 5 seconds to rate and review it below on the blog. It’s also super helpful to me and other readers if you share any changes you made to the recipe. I’m so grateful you’re here! ??
Paloma Cocktails | A Refreshing & Easy Recipe
- 1.5 oz tequila
- 2 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 fresh lime wedge
- 1.5 oz Squirt
- 1 lime or grapefruit wedge for garnish
- Fill a cocktail glass with crushed ice
- Add the tequila, grapefruit juice and Squirt soda
- Add one small squeeze of lime from wedge
- Stir well and garnish with a lime or grapefruit wedge
Muy Delish Notes:
Add Your Own Private Notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this is important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or unit conversion tool.
This recipe looks perfect, but what is Squirt? I love it because it other than the squirt it doesn’t have added sugar. Looks perfect.
Hi Curryspace! Squirt is a soda pop which you’re right, it is sweet. Since the grapefruit is kind of tart, you do need to add some sweet to this drink. Plus the squirt makes it a little bubbly too. I hope you give it a try!
I love the grapefruit juice. This is so refreshing.
This paloma cocktail is so beautiful and delicious! It’s perfect for sipping around the pool with friends.
This cocktail is one of my favorites. I will be enjoying a few of these this weekend with family and friends.
This is so delicious and refreshing–definitely my new favorite cocktail. 😀
My husband and I enjoyed this drink on a hot summer night, and we absolutely loved it! So refreshing and great after a long day. Definitely one of our new favorites and I can’t wait to make this for our gathering this weekend!
This refreshing Paloma cocktail was just what we needed to kick off the weekend. We’ll be making this again soon!
I love tequila drinks and this is one of my favorite recipes!
I agree! They are so delicious!